4 weeks since surgery swelling pain still

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I had surgery on Dec 12 plate and screws installed. I slipped off a semi tire landing on my ankle with toes pointing behind me. Still have some pain mainly on top of my foot after surgery dr said I did a real number on it as to why foot hurt so much but it still hurts but not as much. And if I don't have it elevated it swells up and toes turn purple. I can kinda wiggle my toes and have been since surgery but it hurts on top of foot when I do. I see dr again next Tuesday for xrays and walking boot hopefully. Am I going crazy thinking I should be doing better? Thanks for any reply. Getting depressed not being able to do much.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi derek13950,

When I broke my ankle September 12th, 2016, my toes were pointing backwards as well! It was a trimalleolar Fx w/dislocation and my surgery was September 30th because we had to wait for the swelling to go down. It's now 3 months later and I still have swelling and my foot still turns purple. The only difference is have is the burning and tingling pain because I developed a nerve condition called CRPS where the nerves remain inflamed after the injury and the pain doesn't get better. It only happens to a small number of people. As for the swelling, I've met a few people who are back to normal activities a year after the injury and they still get swelling. It really can take a long time to return to normal, however you will find people who recover rather quickly. It's different for everyone, but I was told with my kind of break, where my foot turned backwards, that it would take a very long time to heal.

Chezz

• Posted

Thanks I seen dr again today and got cast off and a walking boot put on. Pain is getting better but can barely move foot and toes. Any idea of exercises I can start doing to get range of motion back? I have physio appt on Feb 2 but want to try and get a head start on the road to walking again. Thanks again I'm feeling a lot less depressed today just having that cast off made me feel better.

• Posted

I broke both heels and have been NWB a month from surgery on one of them. Just graduated tooing my ABC's now with my toe/foot. Find a couple of things you enjoy doing and do them. Get out for a ride with a friend and get a coffee/soda. Park somewhere and people sit. When we are limited we have to be creative. Think of something and have fun. 

• Posted

Ouch!!! Dont get depressed. I know its easy to, but as time goes on, it will get better. The pain on the top of your foot is normal. I had foot surgery in early april, and had the pain, and also in my ankle. I had to have surgery again in early december, they found fibrous tissue, and put in another set of screws, and plates, and put the original back into the original incision after he took it out, and cleaned it.   Im in  a cast now, and, I go back to the dr tomorrow for xrays, and hopefully get out of the cast. you cant do much right now. Dont get down on yourself, it WILL get better, i promise. 

good luck

• Posted

Thanks it's already getting better, got cast off today. Got a boot and can start weight bearing. I have very little movement of ankle and toes now. Any exercises you can recommend to get mobility back? I have physio appt in 2 weeks but want to get started on the road to walking and working.

• Posted

Hey Derek, sorry to hear about your surgery. I had surgery 8 months ago in my ankle. I had Two completely torn ligaments. I am still in pain when I walk short distances. I have been told it will take at least a year. I also still have swelling. You will get better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.