4 year old daughter intermittent left flank pain for 7 months+ and swollen lymph nodes

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello, I'm sorry in advance for the lengthy post.

Approximately 7 months ago (August 2020) my daughter (4) began complaining about left flank pain on seemingly random occasions. The first few times it happened we just assumed it was wind, or that she needed to poo. It was always a few days between each "episode" so we didn't think much of it until a few weeks had gone by and my husband and I both noticed that this pain always seemed to be in the same place.

I started monitoring it and made the connection that 9 times out of 10 it would occur just as she was desperate to pee. She has been suffering with the pain several times a week for months now.

In January she developed her first UTI and the pain became very severe when this happened. She has now had 3 or 4 UTI's since and each time the left side flank pain is very bad.

In Feb 2021 A doctor ordered an ultrasound of the kidneys and reported that they were normal. I don't know exactly what they looked at or for, so I can't tell exactly how thorough the ultrasound was.

The pain has continued regularly since it first appeared last summer.

Possibly connected, but we're not sure yet, is the discovery of swollen lymph nodes.

Around the end of March 2021 I noticed that my daughter had two swollen lymph nodes in her groin, one each side. I thought it might be related to one of her UTI's that she'd had a few weeks prior to that, so I didn't think much of it.

On the 7th of April she developed another UTI. She took a three day course of antibiotics and was fine afterwards.

One week later on the 13th of April I found another swollen lymph node behind her left ear. The following day I found three more under her right armpit. I phoned the doctor and they saw her straight away, taking blood to run some tests.

The following week the results came back as normal. Her white blood cell count was 5.6, which I would have thought would be higher due to the fact that she had an infection only days before the blood test.

Now on the 24th of April she has developed yet another UTI. Still suffering with the left flank pain, and she has been prescribed a 7 day course of antibiotics.

She now has another swollen lymph node in her groin, as well as the two that I found last month, the three under her arm, and the one behind her ear. The ear lymph node has shrunk slightly which I think is probably reassuring but I don't know enough about the system to say for sure.

I spoke to a doctor yesterday while he prescribed the antibiotics for the infection and he seemed to think it was strange that she would have swollen lymph nodes in three separate parts of the body.

Can anyone tell me what they think might be causing all of these issues?

Thank you for reading this far, I appreciate any advice or stories of similar situations.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.