4 year old with reoccurring UTI- VCUG done - huge bladder- also Pressure Test

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there- I have a 4 year old daughter with reoccurring UTI's for past 18 months. She is and has been potty trained since 2. No bed wetting or accidents ever. Goes to the bathroom in average 6-10 times a day. Currently in a continual antibiotic.

Recently had a VCUG done- they were looking for reflux. NO Reflux. Did find that Bladder is 3 times bigger than average 4 year old. It holds 600+ and should only hold 180!

Urologist had her take the same test again to check pressure of bladder while being filled and scanned bladder. She was able to urinate just fine but scan did show that she had about 80ml still in bladder. Nurse that did scan said her muscles looked like they were working great...her experience she said she thought we needed an MRI. Also to note that actually catheter was able to be pushed out with muscles. And she was able to go with a full stream while peeing.

Now urologist wants her to see a PT cause she thinks it's due to her not ever emptying. I feel like this is a waste of time and that she needs a MRI. I watch her pee all the time. She pees with a constant flow and like I said goes about 6-10 times per day.

Isn't going to a PT a waste of time and that she has something else going on? I don't want to go on another 6 months and then be told that I shouldn't have listened to this doctor and go and find a new one?

Also- just as a side note - daughter has a birth mark along the top of her butt/back. Would that mean anything?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello, if I were you I would seek a second opinion. I'm not sure what physical therapy will do for your daughter if she isn't experiencing incontinence or issues voiding. When she emptied her bladder and then they scanned it, her post void residual was within normal range. My urogyn said anything below 100cc is normal. I as a mother would want more testing before going to a pelvic floor PT. I mean, I've been to one and they did a lot of internal work. I can't imagine they would do internal work on a 4 year old!

• Posted

Did the urologist check for a duplex kidney system. My son had recurrent UTIs aged 5 an it turned out he had a complicated duplex system which was causing the UTI problems. After a hemi-nepherectomy operation he was fine and is now a healthy 22 year old. KUB scan showed the problem.
  • Posted

My daughter who is now 11 kept getting reoccurring urine infections until we realised every time she had pure orange juice she got a infection.

That was nearly 2 years ago this year and since then there has been no

Pure orange juice in her diet so no uti.

• Posted

I,am older manĀ  with retention have had a lot of uti,s.Her being so young would suggest getting to bottom of this not a dr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.