4 years after ankle dislocation

Posted , 8 users are following.

I met with a road accident 4+ years back and dislocated my ankle along with a bimallulear fracture(tibula and fibula ends broke). I as 25 years old then!

A part of my skin at the ankle was also dead and so the doctors went ahead with an external fixation of roads ( not the normal plates and screws)

I struggled everyday with pain,swelling, stiffness hoping tomorrow will be better. Now..its been 4 years and i still have pain and stiffness in the ankle.

My mobility is affected... and brisk walking, jogging are out of question! I was actively into sports earlier and my life crumbled down after this!

All these days i was hoping the injury will gradually heal with time and il be back to my earlier self...but its 4 years and no improvement... im losing hope sad.

Is there anyone here with a similar condition having mobility restrictions even after years of injury?

Note :

The accident happened while i was travelling in a public transport vehicle... i wasnt driving, but i am still suffering sad

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Renee, I suffered the same sort of break. I also had an external fixative and internal plate and screws with screws also in the tibia and fibula.

I went through months of therapy and finally could walk without pain or a limp. However this was short lived. I soon have a couple painful days a week which soon became 7 days a week. Pain and swelling became unbearable and I could not walk without a limp.

I was at the point that I didn't want to walk at all and spent time sitting in my recliner all day.

To make a long story short I had ankle fusion 5 weeks ago. I am still in a hard cast but should transition to a walking boot soon. The cause of my pain was severe arthritis which set in the ankle.

Has your doctor checked your ankle for arthritis?

• Posted

The same thing happened to my knee. Arthritis attacked the joint after scope surgery and I had a replacement 6 months later. Arthritis is nobody's friend!

• Posted

Oh...sorry to hear about your condition.

I can understand the pain you must be going through. How are you now? When will your cast get removed?

Yes in my last XRay a month back, got osteo arthiritis changes seen in it. Doctor gave me some medicines for the pain, but did not talk about a fusion yet.

I will be showing another doctor for a second opinion.

• Posted

Hi I had my accident 6 years ago my ankle was shattered and leg broke in 3 places. I too had external fixation my foot was just hanging on the side of my leg. I finally had my 5 th surgery December 6th to do a total ankle replacement I could take the daily pain and swelling after all those surgeries this was what I had to do so I'm about 11 weeks post op I'm doing much better learning how to walk again hopefully without the limp. I know what your going through I pray you get some relief. I was only able to get back some mobility the years just made it worse so please know what you are going through is what happens but there is help talk to your Dr good luck

• Posted

Oh...sorry to hear about your condition.

I can understand the pain you must be going through. Wish you all the best in your recovery.

Keep me updated.

In my last XRay a month back, got osteo arthiritis changes seen in it. Doctor gave me some medicines for the pain, but did not talk about a fusion yet.

I will be showing another doctor for a second opinion.

• Posted

Try and find a really good orthopedic doctor... They better they are in the field the better care and options you'll have... I live in the US and have one of the top 5 Ortho doctors in the country... The state I live in all 20 Ortho surgeons I talked to said an ankle fusion would be best... All 20 said they'd never be able to do a replacement on a 23 year old... My doctor who did my replacement is in another state and said it'd be no problem... I'm 2 weeks post op... Seriously a good doctor will make all the difference in helping you... Who knows you might find one to do a replacement as well and that could solve the problem.

• Posted

Its devastating being in this condition at such a young age!

I can understand your mental state.

Wish you good luck for your recovery. Keep me updated.

I also have been running to several doctors for opinion, but till now no one is talking of ankle replacement.

Il be showing some more doctors.

• Posted

I also was actively into sports earlier,

I was walking in dark, and there was a hole, I twisted my Ankle.

I got a little ankle instability, I went to doctor, and made a MRI, It was out that, there are tore ATFL & CFL. Doctor told me I should do a surgery ASAP, so to not anything worse.

After surgery my ROM is awful, my mobility is affected... and brisk walking, jogging are out of question... I hardly able to walk properly bare foot... I don’t know why! I wish I never done the surgery that soon!

I know I have to done this surgery, But I really wish if I have delay it, so be able to enjoy my healthy Ankle more, because I’m too young for this.

I’m telling all this, so you know I also wish if I was able to do sports again,

I’m now more positive (after six months) because I found out sorrow would not solve anything, and my ankle is also a little better, month after month... But if I never do sports again then it’s also No Problem also... Because I don’t want to feel sad anymore, enough is enough... I try to enjoy life more...

• Posted

Sad to hear this! With time your condition may improve.

Yes thats the spirit! Being positive and happy. Like your attitude!

May you recover soon and atleast be able to play light sports

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.