4 years after gallbladder removal experience

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had gallbladder removed 4 years ago. Since then quality of life went down dramatically.

I am 33 and i feel like i am 70 years old. First 2 years or so aside from irregular stool you feel fine, only after this time you slowly start to feel worse and worse. You are either loose or constipated, because tissues do not get enough fat, they become dry, and so when constipated, you will likely get anal fissure, which happened to me, was terrible, through it got prostate inflammation and prostatitis afterwards. Your skin becomes dry, and old looking, nothing helps. Joints and back begin to ache so much so that even walking is pain. Constant depression. Memory becomes bad, thinking hard. When stools are loose - it gets to a point that you have to literally run to bathroom. Loose weight. Muscles are weak. Area under eyes becomes loose with fluid in it. Face start to look old despite you are young. No energy whatsoever. Pain in the liver area, gut area.

I am not insisting that people should not remove gallbladder, all situations are different,

only sharing my experience.

And also if anyone had similar effects after surgery - please advise what you have done to feel better.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm 37, long suffering with bloating, burping and indigestion for 10 years. HIDA showed gb not working, after few years gallstones developed. I got barrets esophagus without dysplasia and gastritis.

Can you please let me know if you removed gallbladder for gallstones or for not functioning?

Also let me know what symptoms you had before removing the gall bladder?

This will help others who are yet to make a decision.

• Posted

Hi Vincent

Just wondering if you've been tested for under active thyroid many of the problems you describe are also indicators of under active thyroid and there is a link between the thyroid gland and gallbladder.

I only had my gallbladder removed October last year after 2 years of misery, the bouts of biliary colic, gastritis, and pancreatitis combined with food intolerance, constant nausea, heartburn and viscious diarrhoea by the end I'd have happily have had all my internal organs removed.

Best Wishes

• Posted

I don't think you have a choice of removing or not removing your gallbladder when it is diseased.   I DO know that afterwards, lots of people have stomach issues, including myself.  Had mine removed 15 years ago and have had intermittent diarrhea and constipation and recently, had 50 cc's of bile removed from my stomach, at which time I learned that when the gallbladder is gone, bile "DRIPS" into your stomach and can cause so much pain, you believe you are having a heart attack!   Gastro doctor said my issues are all stomach related (eventho the pain is EXACTLY in the area where my gallbladder used to be!) and prescribed omerprazole 40 mg, which is a time-released capsule, to try to reduce the inflammation he says I have in my stomach.   I am not in nearly as much pain since introducing this drug but if I eat ANYTHING fatty, the pain comes right back.   I suspect I will have a very bland diet from now on and I find that depressing but not as depressing as constant pain.   I agree with the person who suggested your thyroid may be out of whack.   Please keep after them; you must keep advocating for yourself or they just forget about it!   Keep telling the doctors that you need help.   Good luck.

• Posted

4 months after mine was removed . I can only eat a slice of toast and feel full.

Same with a small banana or a small portion of sweet potato.

I can't have meat or veg . So depressed as I loved my food now it's gone .

The weight is dropping off me but gastroenterologist doesn't believe me !!

No help from the medical profession. I'm losing the will to live as I'm starving !!

• Posted

I know how you feel.  Its so frustrating medics dont even understand how bad we feel. Loads of suggestions of alternative therapies on here but i feel ive lost the will.  Dr says anxiety and depression but meds havent helped.  I dont think they know so i am just eating what i can and trying to push on hoping it might get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.