4 years on after ORIF ankle surgery

Posted , 14 users are following.

4 years ago I rolled over on my ankle and broke my Tibia and Fibula as well as dislocating my ankle. I was 22 at the time, but even then the doctors said it would unlikely ever be the same. I had ORIF surgery, a plate and 9 screws and I was sent on my way. I wasn't offered any physio as I was making great progress, however after about a year my progress really slowed down. 4 years on my I still cant be on my feet for long periods of time, I get swelling, stiffness in the morning and at night. I've been to my doctors about it and I have now been put on a list for physio but I imagine I'll be having to wait a while. Just last night I woke up with throbbing pain from my toes up to my knee, like I have pulled a muscle.. but I haven't done any exercise to cause it. I get this from time to time. Does anyone else have similar problems? I feel like I have to live my life around my ankle injury, and I've had enough!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

sorry to hear about your pain

everyone keeps telling me ill live with pain in my ankle rest of my life

i broke mine in 3 places, surgery, screws

im now almost 12 weeks post op and beginning my 3rd week in PT

even when my ankle is very sore the PT really helps so i hope you can begin PT soon

some days my ankle feels almost normal and others it hurts

but I am still in early stages of complete recovery

I am hoping for a return to normal because Im very active and just want my life back

Ive made great progress over last 3 weeks going from boot with 2 crutches to no crutches to walking in 2 sneakers

I still wear boot to go grocery shopping and run errands

I wish you the best

• Posted

oh bless you, I'm so sorry to hear about the pain you are in. My son fell off the third rung of a ladder 16 years ago when he was 26 he is now 42 and has never been out of pain, he started with the stews and bolts then had it fused then loads of cortosone injections, think i have spelled that wrong! the injections took the pain away for few days thats all. he now has a replacement ankle , has a limp and is still in pain. it breaks my heart , I don't want to make it negative for you, hopefully the outcome will be better for you. regards URSULA X

• Edited

well i'm exactly two years broken ankle in three places, 2 plates, 7 screws and dislocation. i read alot of of ankle problems that people have and i understand that all are different. i do have to admit that i don't have any problems at all. i think that is contributed to prayer and physical therapy and exercise which i do often. i'm not saying that others don't do these things as well but what i am saying is that if your not doing any of these try and see if they work. the ankle has to be the strongest because it bares all the weight of the body. i also thought that i would never be the same again but that's not true. we can be but we have to work at it daily. i'm 50 yrs old and it can be done. CONTINUE EXERCISE AND CONTINUE PRAYER

• Posted

I broke my tibia and fibula in 2017 with plate and screws. I am constantly swelling and limping. The doctors always tell me me I had a nasty break and its gonna be that way. I thought about taking out the hardware but it's not guaranteed. My shoes rub my ankle and it still hurts to this day.

• Edited

I have to agree with Kenneth

I think PT, exercise and a positive attitude can work wonders in recovery

Im determined to get back to walking my 4 miles per day

It might take sometime but I love being active

I also volunteer at my local dog shelter

Before I hurt myself I was walking dogs as well as cleaning in kennels

Also going to adoption events

Im going to my first adoption event tomorrow since June and excited about it

Trust me, I experienced a lot of depression during recovery, but Im now seeing progress with PT and just getting myself out and moving

• Posted

I also have to agree with Kenneth. Although still very early stages for me - 17 weeks post op, my sheer stubborness and my optimistic approach and positivity as well as a support network has not held me back reaching my goal of being able to walk again normally and without pain. Apart from a stubborn achilles which plays silly buggers now and again especially in the mornings and the swelling (docs say quite normal and all part of the healing process) I feel great!! I was back at work after 11 weeks, driving after my 12 week final visit and cam boot removal, and have been continuing my stretching exercises and doing lots of walking to build up my leg and calf muscles again.I also went on holiday again whilst wearing my cam boot with no issues whatsoever. It's a bad injury but with positive energy and optimism and yes prayer - there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

Sandra this is really hopeful to read. I'm 58 and broke my ankle in 3 places with a dislocation. I was out hiking with our 105 pound "puppy." I am DETERMINED to get back out on those trails with him - it's one of the greatest joys of my life. We do 1-2 hour hikes 3x's a week and I am not prepared to give that up. It's scary and heartbreaking when you read some of these stories about constant pain. I wonder how Rebecca is doing now?

It's also surprising to read about surgeons who don't recommend PT for an injury like this? For what it's worth: I broke my elbow about 15 years ago. When I had my cast off after 2 weeks, I was told to do 2 movements a few times/day - and only those two movements. Before that cycling accident, I was working with a personal trainer who was also a Qi Gong instructor. He convinced me to let him do some Qi Gong with my arm. We tried it and when I went back in for my 6 week check-up, the dr. was blown away by the progress I'd made! Nearly 100% ROM returned. And then he told me to stop doing the Qi Gong immediately. I kept on with it and healed very quickly. I'm not sure how, why or even if the Qi Gong actually contributed to my arm healing but it was convincing enough that I'm trying it again with ankle. Heck, it can't hurt!

Good luck to you and hope you get back to your favorite activities soon!

• Posted

Hi, I had orif surgery in February this year 21. I fractured and dislocated my right ankle. I was off work for 9 weeks and went back filling shelves for 4 weeks. Being a Butcher I was back lifting 25 to 30kg sides of pork down 4 steps into a fridge. The swelling stopped around the 5 month mark bat I still have tight tendons but full range of motion. I am 59 and 30 years ago I broke my left ankle with the same outcome. I am big headed and a positive person with great support from my wife( get off your ass and do it yourself) that's what she would say.

Stay positive and listen to your body.

• Posted

roughly 4 years ago had a football injury and required an ORIF. Tore it all when the injury happened; tendons, ligaments, muscles, bones, & skin. 9 months of PT and i feel like i need to return to PT because its causing me nothing but problems. not the plates screws and cables, but the constant need to baby my ankle when i work in a high labored job 50 hours a week. Just right now im writing this because i guess i needed to vent to somebody who actually understands. Whenever i bih about it, everyone that is normal just says youll get over it... like they know what its like to feel like a saw is cutting through your ankle every single second you live. doctors say its just tendonitis of this tendon or that tendon. since september 13th of 2017, ive never had a tendon in the ankle that wasnt inflammed or sore. Sometimes i wish they wouldve just chopped it off. Entirely. If i knew i was going to have to deal with this pain and limp since 2017 and what feels like til the very end, I wouldve said off the ankle goes. call me a peg leg or something. this pain is just unbearable 99.9% of the time. Thanks for coming to my ted talk!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.