4 years post gastric bypass and I'm putting in weight rapidly

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I've joined this forum in the hope of getting some support and picking up some hints and tips. I had a gastric bypass almost 4 years ago and went from 20st at my highest to 10.13 at my lowest. I then put on about half a stone and my weight settled for a while at about 11.7. I'm now 13.11 and occasionally touch 14st. A part of me doesn't know how this happened but yet I know exactly why it's happened and if I carry on down this road by the end of the year I'll be hitting 20st again. All the learning I've done I seem to have undone. My portion sizes are enormous again. I've ignored the rules about limiting liquids around meal time, been drinking fizzy drinks and eating carbs like they're going out of fashion. I'm starting the 5 day pouch test tomorrow as a way of resetting my thinking and getting back to basics. Has anyone out there had similar issues and managed to overcome them? I'd like be to know what worked for you and get some encouragement that I can reverse this pattern. I'm determined not to have wasted so much money paying for surgery and gone through all that pain just to go back to where I was.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Fizz1

My name is Renée and I had a biliary pancreatic diversion done about 2 years ago. I lost approx intel years 2 stone and nothing more. I too have not been able to lose anymore without physically dieting which was the whole point of the surgery in my opinion . I was told I wouldn't be able to eat more than 5 teaspoons of food at a sitting and because this is a malabsorption op would need to supplement vitamins and minerals orally . I've had one gastric obstruction problem which was extremely painful and was hospitalised for 3 days. I had to have a nasogastric tube inserted and that caused me to vomit profusely which cleared the obstruction. I was told it could happen again. My portion size is also large and hasn't changed my surgeons response to this is "that's how it is"! So the point of this surgery is quite unknown and very frustrating to me! The answer my dear is that we have to just diet like crazy if we want to be thin !

God Bless

• Posted

Very true Renee! I wish you all the best in your journey too. I guess the biggest battle is not going back to where we were - it's just too painful. But we're here and alive and need to be grateful for what we have rather than anchoring after that which might not be acheiveable x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.