40 mg Citalopram for 3 weeks, still not feeling better.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all. I'm taking citalopram for anxiety. I was on 20mg for 6 weeks, then 30 for 2, now I'm at 40. the physical symptoms of anxiety have subsided, but my mind still races.

When does this get better?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

HI I am now on 15mg week 6, my mind is still racing as soon as I wake up, thoughts in my head all day, and music, I rearly think citalopram makes it worse but I am going to carry on, do you get any more side effects from it, I am getting pins and needles on chin and lips sometime ,

• Posted

HI I am now on 15mg week 6, my mind is still racing as soon as I wake up, thoughts in my head all day, and music, I rearly think citalopram makes it worse but I am going to carry on, do you get any more side effects from it, I am getting pins and needles on chin and lips sometime ,

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

Hi

These meds can take months before you feel truly better - it took me 6 months to recover and even from there on I improved more and more. Everyone is different though.

A bigger dose doesn’t mean it’ll work quicker. It doesn’t work like that. Each dose is tailored to different people. I recovered on 20mg. You could recover on 20, 30 or 40 but you won't know until you've given lots of time to each dose. You need to give each dose months before you start deciding whether to increase / decrease or not.

40mg is the maximum dose you can take and some people struggle on this, as it gives them constant side effect. However, 40mg suits many people and it could suit you, but you won’t know until you’ve given the lesser dose more chance. I mean, you’ve doubled your dose in 2 weeks.

Anxiety takes its own time to go away and you cannot hurry it at all. If you try and hurry recovery you’ll just make yourself worse and probably frustrated too.

Your mind will race - its a side effect of anxiety. Yes it will stop as anxiety eases off.

But do slow down, let things happen for you in its own time. It will.

K x

• Posted

Hi. Thanks so much for your reply. I'm seeing a psych and he prescribed the dosage increases. He said that citalopram treats anxiety better at higher doses. I think that anxiety is worse for me if I don't get good sleep, but sometimes I don't get good sleep because of the anxiety. I'll talk to him on Tuesday, again, but I just thought I'd feel better by now, ya know?

• Posted

I'm no professional but in my experience of taking meds for 16 years it really isn't the higher the better. Yes lack of sleep can drag you down, but sleep does improve over time.

Not many people are better by 11 weeks. It really can take many, many months - between 3 - 9 months, and longer for some too. Recovery is really slow and often not noticed.

You usually have to give 1 dose a good 3-4 months as you won't know if a dose will suit you until you've given it time. As said, often the maximum dose doesn't agree with people and causes more problems and they eventually find that a change in dose improves their symptoms.

• Posted

my Phychiatrist treats all her anxiety patients on low doses of ssris.she says these are strong meds and that you will recover on a low dosage .is the patience that usually makes us look for a quick relief and more than likely higher doses doesn't mean quick relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.