40 years old and 7.5 cholesterol

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 40 years old, fairly active (I practice jiu jitsu twice a week and swim on weekends) I'm quite fit and eat healthy most of the time. I just had a blood test and my cholesterol came up very high at 7.5. Both my parents have high cholesterol and they are both fit so I think it is mostly due to genetics. My doctor asked me to follow a strict diet and test again in 3 months to see if I can lower my level. If not he told me that I have high risk of having clogged arteries and will probably need to be on medication. I've read lots of horror stories on statins and their side effects. What should I do if I can't lower my cholesterol levels? I eat fairly healthy (lots of vegetables, chicken, fruits, oats, sometimes red meat and low carbs) so I have a feeling I won't be able to change anything just with a better diet. What do you guys think? Thank you

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've never heard of the yellow card, where do we get it?

• Posted

Type Yellow Card into your browser

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.