Skip to content

Statins and Other Lipid-lowering Medicines

Also known as Atorvastatin, Cholesterol Level, Ezetimibe, Familial Hypercholesterolaemia, Hyperlipidaemia, Lipid-lowering Medicines, Pravastatin, Rosuvastatin, Simvastatin

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

• roz49559 roz49559

FH

I am trying to get referred to get genetically tested for FH so that my family can start the cascading tests. I have been diagnosed for FH. My GP has said not to bother! I contacted Heart UK and they have informed me about the NICE guidelines for FH genetic testing. Have anybody else been in this …

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Pravastatin and GERD?

My doctor put me on 20mg of Pravastatin. The first thing I noticed is that my BP dropped like a rock after a couple of weeks, probably a coincidence? But now I have terrible Acid Reflux that no amount of PPis will stop. I've had Acid Reflux for 18 years, but it has always been kept in check by …

Last reply
  • statins

Started on 20 mg statins after high cholesterol ( several years) reading after annual check up.  After one month on them i have zero energy and have gained several pounds - not really dieting though.  Should i discuss with doctor or take longer?  no energy and brain fog as well. …

Last reply
  • FH

I am trying to get referred to get genetically tested for FH so that my family can start the cascading tests. I have been diagnosed for FH. My GP has said not to bother! I contacted Heart UK and they have informed me about the NICE guidelines for FH genetic testing. Have anybody else been in this …

Posted
  • Statins Side Effects

How long does it take after stopping statins for the side effects to wear off? I have been taking them for several years and experience increasing physical and mental fatigue and achy muscles. I have come to suspect the 20mg per day I am taking for mildly high cholesterol. My doctor suggests …

Last reply
  • Very high cholesterol and pregnant :(

I was diagnosed with familial hypocholesterolemia 8 years ago. My cholesterol was at 5.6 until around a year ago when it started creeping up, it is now at just under 12 and I am unable to take statins as I am pregnant (7 months gone). I am incredibly worried both for baby and myself. How long can …

Last reply
  • Very high cholesterol and pregnant :(

I was diagnosed with familial hypocholesterolemia 8 years ago. My cholesterol was at 5.6 until around a year ago when it started creeping up, it is now at just under 12 and I am unable to take statins as I am pregnant (7 months gone). I am incredibly worried both for baby and myself. How long …

Last reply
  • ATORVASTATIN and severe muscle pain

Hello.  I was taking Lipitor (atorvastatin) for 3 months before I started to get SEVERE muscle pain in my right arm to the point where suddenly, I could not left my arm or hold a cup without having severe pain.  I stopped taking the statin.  I've been off it now for 8 days.   …

Last reply
  • Brain Fog And Fatigue

Hello, first time here. I am hypothyroid, taking the meds and my levels are normal range. Yet I am still fatigued and foggy brained. I started on statins a few years back and around that time is when the fatigue gradually began. (I should explain that prior to that I was hypothyroid for a lot of …

Last reply
  • Borderline high cholesterol. Put on statin. Is it necessary?

Hi guys. So my doctor told me I can't do anything about my cholesterol levels and that I would have to be on statin for life. Is this even possible? I have changed my lifestyle and I actively exercise prior to this finding. I took 4 blood tests this year. I am 31 and weigh 121 and am 5'2 …

Last reply
  • Treatment with Ezetrol is it safe?

I have taken Ezetrol for approximately 7 years having had considerable problems with statins and leg pain. 3 years ago I began to have sensations of heat and nerve pain in my legs . I was , a year later, sent to a neurologist but no determination of the cause was found. I also had a Doppler to …

Last reply
  • Atorvastatin and Fatigue Problems

Hi All - I was taking Atorvastatin for fourteen months when I felt a type of cramp below my neck and inbetween my shoulders. No pain, but it shook me up. Only lasted a couple of seconds. A few days after, I got tingling down my arms and in my fingertips and thereafter fatigue, sometimes extreme. …

Last reply
  • HDL too high?

Does anybody know what would be considered too high for HDL? I keep reading articles that suggest that having extremely high HDL can be dangerous. I am in Canada and mine are 258

Last reply
  • Cessation of Atorvastatin

Stopped atorvastatin about 3 weeks ago, had peripheral neuropathy, sweats, memory problems etc etc. Side effects have actually seemed to get a bit worse since I stopped taking it. And I now have depression as well. Do these symptoms get worse before they get better after you stop taking it? G.P. …

Last reply
  • Can we lower cholesterol through diet?

In Dec 2017, I cut out milk, breads/pita and eggs​. I also started to use more flax and added chia seeds. My weight has been steady at around 150. (Male, age 66) Friday Apr 20th, I had another lab test. My doctor ​had ​wanted to put me on statins ​ for 'high' cholesterol​, but I …

Last reply
  • So Worried

3 years ago I used to eat massive amounts of chocolate, and I mean massive amounts, I was also drinking 12 units of alcohol every day, along with 2-3 cans of Coca Cola. My cholesterol was extremely high and this doctor prescribed me statins which I did not take because I have read they have serious …

Last reply
  • Excess Cholesterol, Urgent Action Required

I am over 60 years old, enjoy cheese, butter, pork pies, a couple of bottles of red wine at the weekend and  surprise, surprise after a recent blood test I was called in to see my doctor.  She explained all about excess cholesterol, mine is 7.1, and the effects on my body.  I am …

Last reply
  • medications that effect vitamins /minenerals

hi , should doctors recommend taking some form of vitamins/minerals when they take medication , q10 for statins ,zinc for ace inhibitors , ext ext , some of the medications cause more harm than good , aspirin low dose ,  

Last reply
  • At the end of my rope!

Hello everyone.  Here is a brief history of my problem.  I am 53, male, 5'9 and currently 180 lbs.  My past medical history was 1- type 2 diabetes, 2 High cholesterol (which I will break down soon), Hypertensiion,  I was taking Metformin, Ramipril, Lipitor, ASA, Ezetimbide.&# …

Last reply
  • Hydroxymethylbutyrate/ hmb

hi could taking HMB help with muscle loss due to taking Statins.,or take the aches in calves and legs away .i can't find anything on google that tells me about statin recovery from taking HMB ,  

Last reply
  • Rosuvastatin

This thread is by no means advice just my stent story which may help others or give them hope. I'm 64, stented and Just had two-years of hell on Atorvastatin and Clopidogrel after a stent was fitted. Briefly, i was a handy marathon runner but this all went pear-shaped after having to take this …

Posted
  • d'ribose could it help with effects of statins.

hi , could d'ribose help with the myopathy caused by taking statins , i can't find much on the NET about d'ribose , but what i found out sounds ok , i been taking these statins for years now plus blood pressure meds , and they have taken their toll  , 

Last reply
  • statins are important for health

hello, i have been reading a lot regarding statins and its side effects.  I have been taking off and on for the past four years in fear. My sister was also diagnosed with familial high cholesterol and was taking statins for a short time then stopped for the past three years or so. she has now …

Last reply
  • More Muscle Pain

Been off the Atorvastatin now for just over a month and things were improving.  However, I think the damage has been done.  Yesterday went for a nice walk around the garden centre after lunch, but within about 15 minutes I started getting pain in my left kidney area.  Good job I had …

Last reply
  • Atorvastatin and cold sores

My husband has been taking  Atorvastatin 40mg for approx.6 weeks. A couple of weeks ago he developed a cold sore on his lip, then one on his lower eyelid and also one just inside his nostril. He is 63 years old and has never had a cold sore in his life. Has any one else experienced this?

Last reply
  • Apigenin

HI,  has anyone tried  Apigenin , for the effects of muscle damage due to Statins.

Posted
  • Can zetia do this?

In February, in an attempt to further lower my cholesterol, my Dr increased my Pravastatin to 40 (I'd started at 20), and added zetia. 6 weeks later I started experiencing stomach pain, indigestion, pale colored stools, increased bruising, and increased aches and pains. Liver blood tests are …

Last reply
  • severe pain after stopping crestor cold turkey

was having joint and muscle soreness, dr thought tendonitis in shoulder, was referring me to rheumatologist, no appt yet, anyway, decided after reading bout statins, to stop them 7 days ago, cold turkey, last 4 days been hell, hurting all over shoulders, arms, glutes hamstrings, can,t sleep can,t …

Last reply
  • Reactive hypoglycemia from Lipitor withdrawal

Has anyone else experienced reactive hypoglycemia from Lipitor withdrawal? Does your sugar level ever go back to normal or is this permanent? My husband did the glucose tolerance test this morning. His fasting level was 99. Hour 1 he was 114. Hour 2 was 117. Hour 3 was 52.  How long does it …

Posted
  • Bad Lipitor withdrawal symptoms

My husband has been on Lipitor 10 mg about four years and this past year he developed insomnia from the statin. He weened off the Lipitor for two weeks cutting the pill in half. Stopped taking it completely April 25. Since he has stopped, he has had a range of withdrawal symptoms including aching, …

Last reply
  • How common is this?

How common is it to begin experiencing muscle pain and tenderness months after increasing a station? Also, does CoQ10 help?

Last reply
  • Delayed muscle Pain

My Pravastatin was increased to 40 in December and Zetia was added in January. Everything's been fine til now! All of a sudden I have muscle pain and tenderness everywhere! I'm exhausted and dont feel like moving. Has anyone else had a delayed reaction? I worry about rhabdomyolysis.

Last reply
  • Muscle/neck pain/headache Crescor

Dr suggested I cut 50%. No change. After stopping 5 days headache less but neck/shoulder pain persists. Eating oats and food that help lower cholesterol. As a retired health care professional I know diet and exercise are the two most important things we can do. Additionally I take garlic for b/p, …

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.