Skip to content

Statins and Other Lipid-lowering Medicines

Also known as Atorvastatin, Cholesterol Level, Ezetimibe, Familial Hypercholesterolaemia, Hyperlipidaemia, Lipid-lowering Medicines, Pravastatin, Rosuvastatin, Simvastatin

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

All discussions in this group

Next
  • statins are important for health

hello, i have been reading a lot regarding statins and its side effects.  I have been taking off and on for the past four years in fear. My sister was also diagnosed with familial high cholesterol and was taking statins for a short time then stopped for the past three years or so. she has now been...

Last reply
  • Can we lower cholesterol through diet?

In Dec 2017, I cut out milk, breads/pita and eggs​. I also started to use more flax and added chia seeds. My weight has been steady at around 150. (Male, age 66) Friday Apr 20th, I had another lab test. My doctor ​had ​wanted to put me on statins ​ for 'high' cholesterol​, but I had...

Last reply
  • Atorvastatin and cold sores

My husband has been taking  Atorvastatin 40mg for approx.6 weeks. A couple of weeks ago he developed a cold sore on his lip, then one on his lower eyelid and also one just inside his nostril. He is 63 years old and has never had a cold sore in his life. Has any one else experienced this?

Last reply
  • Apigenin

HI,  has anyone tried  Apigenin , for the effects of muscle damage due to Statins.

Posted
  • Can zetia do this?

In February, in an attempt to further lower my cholesterol, my Dr increased my Pravastatin to 40 (I'd started at 20), and added zetia. 6 weeks later I started experiencing stomach pain, indigestion, pale colored stools, increased bruising, and increased aches and pains. Liver blood tests are normal...

Last reply
  • severe pain after stopping crestor cold turkey

was having joint and muscle soreness, dr thought tendonitis in shoulder, was referring me to rheumatologist, no appt yet, anyway, decided after reading bout statins, to stop them 7 days ago, cold turkey, last 4 days been hell, hurting all over shoulders, arms, glutes hamstrings, can,t sleep can,t hardly...

Last reply
  • Reactive hypoglycemia from Lipitor withdrawal

Has anyone else experienced reactive hypoglycemia from Lipitor withdrawal? Does your sugar level ever go back to normal or is this permanent? My husband did the glucose tolerance test this morning. His fasting level was 99. Hour 1 he was 114. Hour 2 was 117. Hour 3 was 52.  How long does it take...

Posted
  • Bad Lipitor withdrawal symptoms

My husband has been on Lipitor 10 mg about four years and this past year he developed insomnia from the statin. He weened off the Lipitor for two weeks cutting the pill in half. Stopped taking it completely April 25. Since he has stopped, he has had a range of withdrawal symptoms including aching, sore...

Last reply
  • So Worried

3 years ago I used to eat massive amounts of chocolate, and I mean massive amounts, I was also drinking 12 units of alcohol every day, along with 2-3 cans of Coca Cola. My cholesterol was extremely high and this doctor prescribed me statins which I did not take because I have read they have serious side...

Last reply
  • How common is this?

How common is it to begin experiencing muscle pain and tenderness months after increasing a station? Also, does CoQ10 help?

Last reply
  • Delayed muscle Pain

My Pravastatin was increased to 40 in December and Zetia was added in January. Everything's been fine til now! All of a sudden I have muscle pain and tenderness everywhere! I'm exhausted and dont feel like moving. Has anyone else had a delayed reaction? I worry about rhabdomyolysis.

Last reply
  • Muscle/neck pain/headache Crescor

Dr suggested I cut 50%. No change. After stopping 5 days headache less but neck/shoulder pain persists. Eating oats and food that help lower cholesterol. As a retired health care professional I know diet and exercise are the two most important things we can do. Additionally I take garlic for b/p, Co...

Last reply
  • ATORVASTATIN and severe muscle pain

Hello.  I was taking Lipitor (atorvastatin) for 3 months before I started to get SEVERE muscle pain in my right arm to the point where suddenly, I could not left my arm or hold a cup without having severe pain.  I stopped taking the statin.  I've been off it now for 8 days.  The...

Last reply
  • Atorvastatin Issues

I've been reading some of the posts on here and can totally relate to what some people are saying.   ​I had a cerebral angiogram at the beginning of September last year and this caused a minor stroke.  I was put on Clopidogrel (blood thinner) and Atorvastatin 80mg even though my cholesterol...

Last reply
  • Has anyone had memory loss after long period of taking statins?

I’m worried about a family member who has been suffering with memory impairment, confusion and memory loss, the GPs have not really given us any proper answers. They have ruled out dementia, brain tumour etc with scans. Recently I have seen that statins can cause memory loss and seen forums on this subject....

Last reply
  • Statins... Atorvastatin

Hi all, I've joined to see if i can get some answers for my 65 yr old dad...He has been on Atorvastatin 40 mg for the last 6 yrs...He has experienced shoulder pain for almost all this time, but during the last 3 months he's gone from a fit man to someone that can barely walk....He is experiencing...

Last reply
  • Red Yeast Rice...Anyone?

Has anyone taken Red Yeast Rice for cholesterol and had issues? I was put on it after being on Atorvastatin for 2 years. My naturopath said it was "safer." Well, WRONG! So now the Atorvastatin gave me brain fog and memory issues and the RYR gave me awful muscle pain in both arms. No one has...

Last reply
  • severe stomach problems caused by Simvastatin?

I was prescribed Simvastatin in March 2016, after an op for a blocked artery in my leg.  At this time I was probably about a stone overweight.   I then developed problems with my toe which made me immobile for ages, more weight went on.  In June 2017 I finally got the all clear to get...

Last reply
  • Elevated LDL

Hi guys, I am a 24 y/o(I would say healthy) female. Average weight and BMI. However, recently I had a physical and my LDL cholesterol levels were 142, which is 42 pts above ref range and my total is 13 pts higher. My HDL is normal. My Dr said not to worry, but he wasn't very concise with what I should...

Last reply
  • Lipoprotein a (one of the cholesteral lipids)

Hello everyone, I have a horrible history of family members die'g at very young age from heart attacks.   It turns out that I and they have/had a high Lp(a) count.   My count is veryyy high and it's driving me crazy with anxiety.   Insurance companies will not pay for the test,...

Last reply
  • Confused about results..

Hello this is my first time posting on this forum. I am 54 year old female relatively average build swim three times a week, diet not too bad (perhaps worse at weekends). I had my cholesterol tested last year and all I was told it was high at 6.6. After adjusting my diet abit and taking the yoghurt...

Last reply
  • Just stopped Atorovastin - am I doing the right thing??

In May 2016 I had a stent to unblock an artery which was discovered following treadmill test. I'm 44 and was prescribed aispirin, biscoprol and 40mg of atorovastatin.  I started having dizzy spells and sharpe pains in my shoulders and chest and was referred back to cardiac team.  I had...

Last reply
  • hi everybody, this is my first time posting

i have been suffering for the last 10 years with very high cholrestral but go on and off statins as the cripple my muscles, my main issue is my HDL which is terribly low, 30  . i take asprin 162 mg per day, have tried cod oil, omega 3 and krill oil aswell as vitamin niacin, nothing works the only...

Last reply
  • Arvostatin

I have been taking this for a few months now and although I know it has reduced my cholesterol, I think it is having a detrimental effect on me. Feeling really numb and low. Hard to feel angry, sad or happy. Also noticing that sometimes I have the feeling like I cannot get enough air into my lungs,...

Last reply
  • Cholesterol Trap - Help/Suggestion !!

Hi,   I need some advice from you as I had tried many things and seems I am not getting the result I was hoping for. I am 34 years old vegetarian, non-drinker, non-smoker. I do little/medium exercise occasionally (not rigid).I am watching my Cholesterol from some time now and tried to change all...

Last reply
  • SIMVASTATIN HELL ?

I have been taking Simvastatin for over two years. During this time I have got progressively worse. Started with tingling and pins and needles in hands and fingers, sore sole of the feet and a little bit of joint stiffness, lumpy legs, severe lethargy, tireness and irritability. NOW I have muscle wastage...

Last reply
  • Cholesterol at 24 years old

Hello everyone, Just got my test results yesterday and I am worried as hell. Total Cholestérol is 6.8 or 262 HDL is 48 And triglycerides is 1.95 mmol/L Basically I am 24 years old turning 25. I am overweight, not fat, and to be honest I don’t excersise, I do not smoke but in the last 6...

Posted
  • Should I be worried about a cholesterol reading of 6.2?

My cholesterol test came back with 6.2, HDL 2.8 and LDL 3.6. I am a 58 year old female who is notoverweight, does exercise 5 times a week (running, gym, swimming, tennis), has excellent blood pressure and eats a very balanced diet with lots of fruit and veg but which is perhaps a bit high in fat. Do...

Last reply
  • Wake up to the statin crisis GPs

I was on statins for a few years, then after aching legs that were driving me crazy I stopped taking them. No more aching legs. After  a recent eye problem, blood tests came up with high cholesterol again. My doctor tried two different statins, both of which made my legs ache and one gave me elevated...

Last reply
  • Side effects of statins

I have recently been worried about muscle pains- particularly in the arms and shoulders. so I came off Atorvastatin for a month but the cholesterol level went up, so I am back on 20mg. This is my first post on here. I should appreciate the experience of others, as to whether halving the dose/ taking...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.