Why I Try to take a Statin

Posted , 1 user is following.

At 72 years I was diagnosed with some 65 percent clogged arteries, borderline between stents, and trying to manage with weight loss, diet and medication. I chose the latter and started on 10 mg of Rosuvastatin . About 5 years later my regular doctor, by my good fortune, added a new drug called Vascepa. He did that to replace the daily can of sardines I had started eating, figuring fish oil was good for me. He said the capsules wouldn't be as smelly! About 4 years later in 2019, a clinical trial called REDUCE-IT showed that for people like me with Cardio risk factors and Type 2 Diabetes, a Statin plus Vascepa reduced the chance of heart attack and stroke by 40 per cent. (Vascepa is the EPA half of fish oils) About 2022 , I started having kidney decline and pain which I suspected was from the long time Statin use. I worked with my Cardiologist and he switched me to 1 mg of Pitavastatin which supposedly has less side effects.

It is now 2023 and the Pitavastatin keeps the cholesterol at the same level as Rosuvastatin and with no apparent side affects. The kidney function is mediocre but seems to have stabilized. It is now 2023 and I am 82. I've had no cardio issues in the past 10 years which I attribute to the combination of a Statin and Vascepa. Dave

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.