Atorvastatin/pravastatin

Posted , 1 user is following.

I was prescribed pravastatin after a heart attack in my mid 40s. My doctor changed me to atorvastatin after 15 years as she thought leg cramps were caused by pravastatin. These weren't very troubling and remained the same. 18 months after starting atorvastatin I began to get a change in sensation in my feet. I read the patient leaflet which stated that peripheral neuropathy was a side effect - not common but listed. This didn't appear on the pravastatin leaflet. I asked to be put back on pravastatin which I was. Tge symptoms have remained but are no better or worse. I had a battery of tests including an MRI scan and nerve conduction tests and no cause could be found for the neuropathy. But I do wonder what the effect of lowering cholesterol is anyway, in the very long term - 19 years use of statins - when cholesterol is a component of the myelin sheath of nerve fibres which helps nerve conduction. Nobody will take this concern seriously and I wondered if anyone else had had anything similar.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.