Burning sensation in legs

Posted , 14 users are following.

i have been taking ATORVASTATIN tablets for 6 weeks now. my doctor said that my blood results say that my colestrol was 4.5 bad and 2.5 good. so he said i should be on 20g. i was pain free and felt good before i started to take these tablets but now i have pains in my knees, and burning sensation in both legs, and pain in my groin.im thinking of stoppin them to see if the pain and burning sensation goes.

anybody have the same

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

Hi,I had tingling sensations,muscle aches,burning feet but also a sensation that I was walking on top of a cactus,muscle weakness. I'm in the states this was on 10 mg,took me at least 4 months to feel better. My statin started with a Z. I no longer take them. I wanted to feel well,not sick. my husband takes 10 mg over a period of years he now has neuropathy both feet,Can not feel the bott om of his feet at all.

• Posted

I was on atorvarstatin along time ago but had to come of straight away and was diagnosed as being allergic to them.. This sensation you are getting is familiar to alot of statin takers.. I have just stopped my 4th statin because of very bad muscle pain in my legs... Go back to your doctor and tell him what is happening..

• Posted

Hi Alice,

Before you stop taking them, pop over to see the Dr, there are other options s available to you.

I would have to agree Statins are not free form adverse effects for some people. I too am one the latter. I have tried three types so far.

I have stopped taking them at the mo. Prior to taking them I experienced very painful had leg and calf cramps. There are some very interesting thoughts and views on this topic well worth searching them out.

• Posted

A number of years ago I was put on Simverstatin along with three other drugs. After a few months I developed dreadful pain in one leg and was unable to walk without limping. I stopped taking all four drugs and after a number of weeks the pain went. Going back to the doctor I was told I should go back on the drugs. I agreed to go on them, one at a time. I was assured it wasn't the statin, so I retook that. That same night I woke up with servere pain in the same leg. I of course stopped taking statins and still dont. Having read a lot about statins (inlc. 'The cholesterol con' by Dr M. Mc Kendrick), I'm amazed the doctor still suggested statins.

• Posted

i agree there seems to an increasing view that Statins are the cause of many issues.

• Edited

I can almost guarantee the pain and burning sensation will go away if you stop the statin. I had all kinds of joint and tendon problems and pain when I was on statins. Now that I've been off them for about 6 months or so I am back to my default state which is minimal pain that's very manageable.

• Posted

your cholesterol levels are exactly the same as mine. Adverse side effects are part and parcel of the medication. I personally think there poison. I stopped taking them because of the horrible pains.

My Doctor recommend taking just one a week if I was concerned about cholesterol levels. To be honest yours is not that high. I believe its only the Pharmaceutical companies that benefit. Only my personal opinion.

best wishes

• Posted

yes I think you could be right about it's a money thing with the pharmacy x well I'm going to give it a couple of weeks to see if my pain calms down. and yes I didnt think my colestrol was that high either

• Posted

Hello AliceNay,

In 2018 the guidelines changed for doctors prescribing statins, due to the amount of people reporting muscle problems also, the fact that statins are known to cause dementia. Doctors are now supposed to give advice about diet and exercise and allow the patient to make changes to their lifestyle before talking statins.

Your cholesterol is low anyway and a doctor should never give you a statin for such a low reading. Cholesterol is very important for the body. Cholesterol is a substance made in the liver that’s vital to human life. You can also get cholesterol through foods. Since it can’t be created by plants, you can only find it in animal products like meat and dairy.

In our bodies, cholesterol serves three main purposes:

It aids in the production of sex hormones.

It’s a building block for human tissues.

It assists in bile production in the liver.

These are important functions, all dependent on the presence of cholesterol. 75% of cholesterol is made by the liver only 25% comes from food.

Back in the 1950s Ancel Keyes became obsessed with cholesterol and was determined to prove himself right, there was a twenty two country research into cholesterol, fifteen of these countries did not support Keyes theory so he ignored them and used the seven he felt did. This flawed 'research' created the statins monster and the billions made by pharmaceutical companies. All research is flawed in someway therefore we cannot believe everything put out by doctors anymore.

Make you own mind up about what is good for your body.

• Posted

hi.

i know this over 16 months but I was hoping you'll still be able to read this.

has your burning legs resolved after stopping atorvastatin?

i was on atorvastating for about month 10mg then i started having burning legs, thighs and event toes and right arm one night. kept me awake. was told by doctor its from atorvastatin as my CK was raised and ferritin was high (inflammation marker). both came down after stopping but I still have the burning thighs, particularly at the back of thigh and a bit on the front and side.

still have a bit on my right arm.

i was also wondering if anyone experience the same. has it resolved? how long? and any tips on what to do to speed up recovery.

• Posted

i was on atvorstatin 20 mg and had severe cramps on the left leg that kept me up at night . I stopped the medication and the pain went away . i was put on rosuvastatin 5mg and after 3 weeks i had a burning sensation in the upper right thigh . I have stopped the drug a week ago now . the pain still persists but it is much better . i hope i can find something better . i have emailed the doctor but he has not answered .

• Posted

Hello Alice and others who have experienced side effects from Statins. i would appreciate if you will read and respond to my message.

Due to elevated chloresterol, my heart doctor put me on daily dose of 81 mg aspirin and 20 mg Atorvastatin. In about 1.5 to 2 months i developed severe burning sensation of my soles and feet. When i wear shoes, my soles feel so hot as if i am walking on hot pavement. It has been a very uncomfortable sensation going on for the last month or so. After reading your posts, i quit taking aspirin and atorvastatin almost a week ago now. My burning of my feet symptoms still continues and keeping me awake at night. i have an appointment with a neurologist in a few weeks for checking if it is neuropathy. i do not have muscle pain. i have mostly burning sensation which started with feet and now in lower legs.

i would like to know how long it took for you all to get your symptoms fully subside after you stopped taking the Statin. i am concerned that if 20 mg of the Statin i took over a 3 month period could have caused permanent neuropathy for me. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Posted

hello Alice . Thanks for your message below . I am so sorry to hear of your issues . I have exactly the same sensations . pains and burning . loss of sensation in feet. Did

stopping the statins help ? thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.