Advice about cholesterol level for 31YO

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

I'm a 31 YO Female. I recently underwent a health check - all results including ECG, blood pressure, sugar level, BMI, retinal check etc. all came back fine. The only thing of concern was the cholesterol level which was 5.5 and should ideally be 4.9 or less. I only have the total figure, not a breakdown. I am of South Asian ethnicity and my family does have a history of raised cholesterol levels but through diet and exercise, most seem to have controlled it and brought it down. I am vegetarian and try to eat as healthily as possible, with fruit and vegetables making up a fairly large part of my diet. I try not to eat treats that often and keep an eye on how much fat etc. is in the product. I rarely drink alcohol and usually just stick to 3 meals a day with hardly any snacks. I also exercise daily usually by walking and doing an aerobic workout but perhaps it isn't as intense as it should be.

I suffer from hypochondria and also have PCOS so am naturally concerned that my level is not as low as it should be particularly as it's higher than my parents at the moment. I am going to increase the intensity of my exercise regime and also eat more oats and fibre based foods and cut down as much as possible on foods that aren't so good for you, even though I don't eat a lot of them on a regular basis anyway. Is there any further advice that anyone has on this? I really would like to see it reduce as it's making me anxious.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.