42 yr old male and nervous about my memory

Posted , 6 users are following.

These are notes I took down. Anyone have the same issue and should I go and see a doctor?

I have done this multiple times. I have locked the house to leave for the day and as soon as I get to the car, I don’t remember if I locked the doors and would have to go back into the house.

Daughter came down from getting ready for school and she had her FFA shirt on and I ask what they were doing today and told me that we had a conversation about it the night before.

I had mail that needed to go out to the mailbox, a few minutes later, I couldn’t find the mail that needed to go out. I walked out to the mailbox and saw that I already took it out.

I have problems typing on the computer. After reading what I typed, it makes no sense and have to spend more time editing than when I originally typed it.

I can’t read anymore. I can barely finish a paragraph and remember what I read.

I can not listen to a podcast and do anything else.

I have a hard time listening to people in a crowded area. Even when trying to concentrate on what they are saying is very difficult.

At church, I was having a conversation with a friend and the next thing I realize he is yelling at me for not paying attention. I forgot he was talking to me. There was background noise.

Thanks in advance....

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would offer a very definite "yes". Your symptoms seem more advanced than my spouse's.

It may be that the few drugs available might help. More importantly, if close friends and family know of a formal, authoritative diagnosis they will learn to work with you. Without knowledge of that diagnosis the natural response to the sort of behaviours you list is irritation. That irritation sets up a series of vicious downward spirals in the moods and behaviours of all those concerned.

I had to learn this the hard way.

• Posted

See a doctor for confirmation to make sure you have early on Alzheimer's symptoms. There is a test to show if you have the Alzheimer's gene. I have the gene but it has not expressed yet. I do forget here and there what I need to do but I am 74 years old!

Better to know and plan accordingly. In the meantime enjoy your life....

Best to you.

• Posted

I realize that this is an extremely dated thread but the information caught my attention and I sought to make comment.

Even if genetic early onset Alzheimer's disease was the potential cause, your statements regarding the events would suggest the disease's progress to be approximately midway from onset to finality. Early onset is commonly established as approximately 40 years of age, meaning that onset would have occurred at approximately 35 years of age.

This would be an extremely rare exception and highly unlikely. In reviewing the examples that you've provided, other causes should have immediately been ruled out within differential diagnoses.

I am now retired, but was a medical professional whose focus was neurodegenerative disease. If you still belong to this website, I'd very much like to know whether you've established yourself as a patient with a neurologist, the diagnosis that was finally provided and what stage of disease progression presently exists or whether a diagnosis other than neurodegenerative disease was provided.

Your examples described in your posting are uncharacteristic of those common to Alzheimer's disease and the estimated stage of progression based upon your examples would be far too advanced for a person of 42 years of age. If you receive this message, please remain anonymous and do not provide any information related to the name of the practitoner providing your care nor the name of any center that provided care.

I believe this to potentially represent a disease other than Alzheimer's disease and would like to inquire whether any physical symptoms accompanied your difficulties as described.

Lastly, I note that your post contained no detectable errors. I would like to inquire whether it too was originally illegible and whether you yourself edited it to its present state of correction or whether assistance was provided.

Best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.