44 and on Bisoprolol

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was rushed into hospital November 2006 where I was diagnosed with SVT. I have been taking 5mg of Bisoprolol daily since. I am finding it more and more difficult to cope with the change it has made to my life. I am tired constantly, have no energy, suffer memory loss and dont feel sociable anymore. I have gone from being someone who is conscious of their health to being worried that anything I do will trigger off another attack. I used to train regularly and go out all the time to pubs and clubs, this has all changed as I dont have the energy or the get up and go since being on the tablets. This is making me depressed and am unsure what or who to talk to about this. Has anyone got any advice for me.

Annette

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Annette

My husband has been on bisoprolol for 3 years after having 2 major heart attacks, then got type 2 diabetes, they have now put him on fluoxetine antidepressants, he has the same symptoms as you, we have had to give up a successful business because he cant cope with being tired all the time he is sleeping all day and all night, the doctor told him to come off the beta blockers to which I replied , wouldnt that cause him to have another heart attack, came the reply \"most probably\" I was furious. If you have a look through the internet you will find that there are other tablets you can use if you have a decent GP he will suggest something, I will send you another message with what ever I find out, I really feel it for you.

Regards smile

Lesley

• Posted

no wonder i feel wierd-I'm on 10mg a day 75clopidogrel 60simvastatin and aspirin and GTN spray and just finished zopiclone.

Until next time...

• Posted

I have been on bisoprolol for 4 months now at 2.5mg per day. When I started on it, the pharmacist said I would feel worse for a week or so and the main side effect would be lightheadedness when standing quickly. She was right and it is not much of a problem now.

I was on digoxin previously since 1979 for PAF at .125mg per day. About a year ago the Dr increased it to .250mg. After 3 trips to the hospital for cardioversion the cardiologist suggested Bisoprolol and Warfarin.

My wife and I just returned from a week in the Dominican Republic where I had an episode of PAF and had to be cardioverted.

I can imagine if you are on 10mg a day of bisoprolol how your energy level would be nonexistant.

All the best to you, RM in Canada

• Posted

I've been on bisoprolol since January. Diagnosed with AF. Started with 6 weeks on 20MG and now on 15MG. Main side effetcs are thirst, drinking a lot of water, weak black tea and maybe this actually helps, I don't know. Sleep is varied. A few nightmares along the way. Dry taste in the mouth. And of course, tiredness. I resist this as best I can and try to get on with work etc. But the tiredness is a nuisance. No other side effects. However the pills seem to help the AF and that's good. Plan is to reduce to 10MG in 6 weeks. Pulse good, heartbeat rock steady. I reckon that as everyone is different, we'll react to the pills in different ways. Does seem though that having read posts, I'm on a fairly high dose? Hope this helps someone.
  • Posted

I have been on bisoprolol for almost one year because of high blood pressure and also blackouts. I don't any nasty side effects. I have noticed that it slowed my heart rate. When I walk up a hill, I get a littletightness at the back of my throat. If I take it easy, it goes away. could this be a side effect of bisoprolol? I did'nt have this before I went on to that drug.
  • Posted

i feel the same as u do, it is screwing up my brain, please write back annette im really scared
  • Posted

Hello, I have been on bisoprolol for nearly 10 years and until recently felt that it was doing me good. When I first came out of hospital I was put on 2 1/2mg am and 2 1/2mg pm. The hospital did try for some time to move my dosage up but each time this caused an uncomfortable reaction after a few days and I came off the extra dosage.

In recent months I have been very uncomfortable through what seems a constant lack of breath. My GP recently explained that my heart rate was up and that the extra pressure was causing my lack of breath. He immediately increased my dosage from 5mg daily to 7 1/2mg daily. Although only a matter of days, I already seem to be getting a reaction by way of lack of sleep at night, no energy, aches & pains, an incredible thirst and bad moods.

The dosage is now once a day in the mornings and I feel terrible, yet I want to stay with it as I am sure that it will do me good once in my system. Anyone else suffered similar?

• Posted

I have / am having a terrible time with a 5mg dose of these drugs... I have been on them before after a heart operation this last summer, but have recently been re administered to them.

I feel depressed, have poor concentration, memory problems, fatigue, hallucinations and problems sleeping... I went t my GP and she lowered the dose to 2.5mg today, and is suggesting I switch to another medication. I have never felt so low and disconnected from reality in all my life. My sympathies go out to all those suffering similar adverse effects.

• Posted

Thank for all of these entries.  I was wondering what was going on.  I've been on 5mgs a day for almost a year.  At first I thought I was acting normally but others have commented that I have been slower and a bit dull in ways.  It took me a while to see it myself and talk about some other things too.  

I feel better and can handle stressful situations on one hand.  On the other, I constantly daydream of insignificant memories and somehow turn them into negative situations.  I feel regret constantly.  It's weird and silly as I have told myself countless times.  After I dismiss it to only return to the same loop again.  It's very low in the background of my mind.  Like a very dull and mild depression that took a while to realize.  Weird, I know.  Other symptoms have been mild weakness in legs and general laziness.  Is this life at 110/80?  Any other meds to suggest anyone?     

• Posted

Hi Annette

I have diagnosed SVT . I disliked the side effects of Bisoprolol so my cardiologist switched me to Verspamil. 80mg x 3. I feel fine on it. No nasty side effects. I have just had a couple of minor episodes of tachycardia in the last 4 months and I was able to stop those through vagal manoevours . So my advice would be to ask to switch. I am on a very long waiting list for the ablation procedure. 

Best wishes

Charles

• Posted

Hi Charles, interesting post.  Can you let us know what the vagal manoeuvours are, as I never know which way to  turn when my heartbeat goes out of sync.  Any ideas would be more than welcome.  Thanks. Pauline 

• Posted

Hi Pauline

The best thing to do is google it. Your consultant or GP should be able to explain, too. They are non invasive physical procedures to get the heart beating at a normal rhythum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.