44 year old male with recurring pelvic discomfort

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all

It's been a while since I've needed to look for some advice here but the same problem has started up and I need some advice please.

In 2014 I had a sharp pain in my groin and burning sensation when urinating. I went to the dr who thought it was a UTI and gave me antibiotics. It didn't get better and a burning/pain began on the left side of my pelvis and left flank as far up as my lowest rib. The dr thought it may be kidney related and over the next few weeks I had prostate checked (bloods and the old finger!) CT scan and camera in to my bladder but nothing found. To cut a long story short, the pain and discomfort slowly went over the following 6 months but then returned again about the same time of year (winter) in 2016. I went back to dr who did full blood work and urine test and again, nothing showed as being wrong. It didn't last quite as long. Early 2017 I started suffering with constant nausea and this went on until about May. I had a camera in to my stomach to check but all was normal. 

So, here I am, writing this and once again the discomfort in my left side and groin has returned. Burning after urination and deep discomfort in my left flank and hip. 

I have to say that my gut instinct is its muscle tension and this was also the cause of last years nausea. Can this cause burning discomfort in the groin?  If I hadn't had the exact same feelings for months on end before I would assume it was either prostate or UTI. 

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi jemhill2016

Do you do anything different in the summer than you would do in the winter such as any exercise or sport. Do you have a change of diet. Are you taking any medication or supplements. Obviously, something is causing the burning sensation after urination. Have you taken a urine sample to your doctor to get a urine dip at the surgery. You mentioned initially your doctor gave you antibiotics but did nit mentiin that your urine was tested at the surgery or sent to a lab. I would suggest your first port of call is to go back to your doctor and get your urine analysed ......

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. It's interesting that you picked up on the apparent  'seasonal' time of my condition. I have recently been thinking that it may be the colder winter months that mean I'm more tense and this perpetuates in my pelvis. Basically I'm getting aches which turn in to more constant pain or tension. May be in the warmer months I'm getting more vit D. The last urine sample I gave was analysed at the hospital. The only medication I take is Omeprazole for acid reflux. 

• Posted

Hi jemhill2016

It is interesting that the symptoms only occurs in winter. Do you change your diet? Do you eat differently in winter? Have you had your vitamin and minerals checked?.....I think there is a correlation between the cold weather and your symptoms. What about clothing do you wear thicker heavier clothing , different underwear that may be tighter or cause allergy or groin pain even trousers or jeans.....but certainly take a urine sample to your doc while you have the burning and get it dipped at the surgery or sent to the lab....

• Posted

Hi jenmhill2016

Just read up on long term use of omeprazole it can cause frequent burning urination , abdomunal pain and joint pain. Stop taking it and see if the symptoms go away....permenantly..

• Posted

Hi Mary19068

My apologies for not replying to your comment sooner. You have made some VERY good pints and certainly ones that fit the symptoms. On thinking about why this happens over the winter months , I have come up with a couple of suggestions. As with most of us, the winter tends to be a more docile time with less physical activity and also more consumption of richer foods which could be the first contributing factor. With regards to the suggestion of Omeprazole side effects, this could well be another contributing factor as I would have to take them more regularly due to the richer food - maybe more alcohol - less activity etc. The second factor and the one that I have often considered is the fact that it's colder and my muscles react and are more tense - this then perpetuates - especially in my pelvis. I have noticed over the last couple of days that there seems to be a couple of trigger points that not only hurt but also slightly relive the symptoms. The first is my Piriformis and the second is my Coccyx. I regularly visit an Osteopath and they say my pelvis muscles are very tight but often on the side that isn't painful.

I know it all sounds like a mystery and that in itself is the concerning thing - after all the tests, there is still no solution. I would just love to know that when the symptoms begin that there is something I could do to stop them - maybe simply not to worry, but as we often find, this is easier said than done.

Jem

• Posted

Hi jemhill2016

It certainly sounds as if there are quite a few contributing factors. I would, however, if you still have burning on urination take a urine sample to the surgery to be dipped....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.