45mg Mirtazapine might not be working

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been on Mirt for a few months,  starting at 15mg then after a few weeks upto 30mg.  Felt that wasn't working so GP upped it to 45mg.  I can't feel any difference with this dose. Could it be that the meds are not for me.  Did  have a good sleep when I first started on them,  but now taking a while to drop off.  So the sedation has worn off.  Our surgery has changed the appointment system.  They give you a phone consultation. It feels like I'm being rushed when the Doctor rings me and I don't have enough time to ask questions about the meds or even ask about changing to something else.  I always feel better if I can talk face to face.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi the same happened to me 15mg was good felt alot better & slept. Went upto 30mg felt down again & couldn't sleep well..doctor offered to go to 45mg I said no because of the weight gain.. I came off them after 4 months to many side effects as time gos by.. I'm now on venlafaxine now. I don't believe it gets any better on mirt .. maybe go back to 15mg see how you feel.. if no better make an appointment as youl need to change your meds..don't suffer lime I did .. x
    • Posted

Thank you. I can't see them making a difference.  I don't want to wait another 2/3 weeks to see a change.  Only thing it's doing for me is making me gain weight.  Thankfully I haven't had any side effects with Mirt. (only the tiredness in first few weeks).   I've tried  AD's, Sertraline, Citalopram (too many side effects) and Amitriptyline. which I was on for a few years as I also had IBS.  They stopped working but I think the dose was too low.  I really can't deal with side effects of some AD's. I was offered Venlafaxine,  but decided to stick with Mirt as it was good for the sleep. I'm just going round in circles,  one minute I have anxiety and that starts the depression off and then the other way round.  So hopefully I can get an appointment and change to something else.
    • Posted

Yer I no what you mean same for me for years.. I tried so desperately for the mirt to work but the weight gain was unbelievable the suger cravings ..eating all my son's sweets .. my niece & nephews easter sweets constant battling in my head until I gave in. I took to venlafaxine really well ..I'm surprised. .the 1st week on low dose was quite spacey bt doubling up was totally fine ..I double up again nx week to 150 & hopefully settle at that..when I went upto 30mg on mirt my sleep was awful..so was prescribed zopiclone which is very addictive.. I cnt sleep without them cnt believe I was prescribed them really..so iv got to wean off them now.
    • Posted

I was given Mirtazapine last year, went up from 15 to 45 but felt little benefit. Psychiatrist added 150venlafaxine in September and immediately I felt a lot better. I was also advised to take a course on Mindfulness and I now feel a great deal better even though I am struggling with a bad knee which could have brought me right down again. I think for me it is a combination of things plus friends and family support which have made the difference. Good luck M
    • Posted

The cravings are awful.  I'm fine for a few days,  then I go on a binge of eating junk.  Our surgery,  they don't seem to offer anything.  It's only when you ask about meds that they tell you about them.  I've been on meds for about ten years now and none of the ones I have taken were ever offered until about two years ago.  I just stuck with the Amitriptyline as I thought they were the only ones out there.  I should have found something suitable by now.  I will make an appointment and see what else they offer.
    • Posted

Good luck be good to hear how you get on if they offer venlafaxine again it's worth giving it ago.. I heard lots of bad things on here & was in a state having to go on them but I really have found them to be ok ..they keep your emotions as bay too which is a good thing for me 😊
    • Posted

Thank you. I hear of people taking a combination of meds.  I have never been offered this.  I feel like I have to ask my GP for something,  not him/her suggesting something.
    • Posted

Hi Sharon. How long did your mirt withdrawl last?
    • Posted

Hi staz my wonderful pdr told me to come straight off it.. I'd say about a week wasn't to bad either. They came about around the time I took the meds every night..no pain ..just felt strange & hot flushes which was ok because I was always in bed by that time.
    • Posted

Hi Sharon. Alll hell broke loose for me and lasted for 4 days before I started back on 15mg of mirt although I was stressed about taking ven as my Pdoc told me to take both which I didn't want to do so I came off the mirt then started the ven. I only lasted 2 days on the ven and was a total mess so dropped the ven and went back to the mirt. I think it was part withdrawl but mainly stress about taking the ven that made me feel so bad.
    • Posted

Oh no sorry to hear this.. I must admit I did feel really off my head for the 1st few days bt soon wore off.. going upto 75mg didn't make me feel like that tho thankgod. I was really anxious like u too, but glad I did couldn't go on with mirt ..😕
    • Posted

I think it was stress and mirt withdrawl rather than the ven tbh Sharon.
  • Posted

Hi, don't know if this helps. My doctor told me that it's one of the only tablets that the less you take the more it helps with anxiety. I'm on 15 but only take about 10. Does help with anxiety, not so much with depression.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi.  The 15 was great for sleep,  30 was ok.   I'm afraid to drop down to 15 incase it doesn't help with the anxiety.   I know it will be good for the sleep.  I find if I can't sleep then It makes me anxious and it lasts for about 3 days.  It's a vicious circle for me.  The doctors don't mention these things when they hand out the meds.  Thank god for Google I say,  as I'm one of those people that don't bother reading the information about the meds.  I couldn't understand why I was eating so much until I looked up the side effects.
  • Posted

Doctors really annoy me they just keep raising the does  of medication when we know its not working.

Go back and talk to you doctor about it

Stay Strongconfused

• Posted

Thank you.  I made sure I saw the doctor face to face.  As lately they have changed the system to phone consultations. (except for emergencies) I got fed up of just having a phone call.  It's like you can't speak to them about how you are feeling as the call is always rushed.  I will stick with it for a couple more weeks and see how it goes. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.