45mg Mirtazapine might not be working

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been on Mirt for a few months,  starting at 15mg then after a few weeks upto 30mg.  Felt that wasn't working so GP upped it to 45mg.  I can't feel any difference with this dose. Could it be that the meds are not for me.  Did  have a good sleep when I first started on them,  but now taking a while to drop off.  So the sedation has worn off.  Our surgery has changed the appointment system.  They give you a phone consultation. It feels like I'm being rushed when the Doctor rings me and I don't have enough time to ask questions about the meds or even ask about changing to something else.  I always feel better if I can talk face to face.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I can relate to this. Mirt worked at 15 mg for me for a few weeks then stopped so up to 30mg then 45mg. It made no difference other than to give me insomnia at the higher doseage. My Pdoc recommended taking venlafaxine along with the mirt. but I'd rather get off the mirt before taking the Venlafaxine. I tried stopping the mirt and all hell broke loose. Depression, suicidal thoughts, insomnia and I'm still suffering after starting back on the mirt 15mg again.
    • Posted

The official literature says if you switch from Mirtazapine to Venlafaxine they should be cross-tapered, ie as you go down one one you go up on the other.
    • Posted

Hi Ian. They are perscribed together for stuborn depression but i thought it was overkill for me anda combination of two of the most difficult AD's to come off filled me with dread tbh.
    • Posted

There is mixed reports on that Staz, the initial paper showed improvement on both, but later papers have suggested that there are more contra-indications against doing this - I was on both some 3 years ago, moved and changed GPs and the new one had the more up to date info which he showed me.
    • Posted

Thanks Ian I'll look into this further.
    • Posted

Hi, what's the "new one"? Are we still talking about Mirt? I would be interested to know.

Much appreciated.

• Posted

Mirtazapine tends to work very quickly if it's going to suit you. From what you say, it is not going to be the med for you. My advice would be to get off it. It is a very powerful med which can make major changes to your body. It gave me kidney disease in the end even though it really helped me for 3 years with my insomnia and depression. The longer you are on it, the harder it is to get off. I tapered from 30mg over a period of four months. Get an appoiuntment asap. My doctor was not supportive of me coming off it, but I did so anyway. My kidney disease has improved since doing so.
    • Posted

Went to see my GP today.  She said I haven't been on  45mg long enough to see if it makes a difference  and to stick with it for another 2-3 weeks to see if there is any difference.  If not they'll offer something else.  Also sent me for blood tests as I have had muscle pain and aching legs.  I did mention it could be from the anxiety as I get it when the anxiety starts.  She just looked at me as if to say I doubt it.  But I know there are lots of symptoms for anxiety.
    • Posted

What are your symptoms? What is stopping you sleep? Is it mental or something physical such as heart palps or pain? How is your pulse rate? Do you get easily hot or cold? Do you feel as though you have the flu when you ache? How is your weight? Have you gained or lost? How much?

​I don't think anxiety can cause you to ache, but there are illnesses that can cause anxiety and aches and pains.

• Posted

I like that "she looked at me as if the say I doubt it".   Bloody GPs, they should stop GPs from being allowed to prescribe meds, they really (generalizing) don't have a clue.   Something I get at times from anxiety is muscle pain and aching legs, especially with Mirt.   my GP tried me on propranolol for the muscle problems but it wiped me out (as in I spent the whole day in bed feeling like I was dying!  Ug...)
    • Posted

Hi. I sleep fine,  but it takes a while to drop off with the 45mg. Heart is fine and pulse rate. I do get hot quick.  I was getting a pain in the hip,  which has now gone.  That was when I went up to 30mg.  I get an ache in my leg, no pain, just achiness.  I find when I get that I tend to get tired quickly and it makes me anxious.  Last time it happened was last week. (This might sound strange to others).  No flu symptoms.  My weight,  well,  if it's not nailed to the floor I'm eating it.  Can't say I've put on a lot.  I get my blood test results back tomorrow.  Doctor said it could be something to do with Vitamin D.
    • Posted

I had it done two months ago when I was low on iron.  (I'm sure thyroid is tested too). I called the surgery today and have to ring back tomorrow to speak with the doctor about my results.  So hopefully it's nothing too bad with the Vitamin D test. I have noticed today my foot is a bit swollen and a bit sore and my skin is flaking over it.  I shall let you know what the results are.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.