46 and down for THR - so confused!!

Posted , 20 users are following.

So I returned to the hospital yesterday as my arthritis pain has been continual most of this year. I had been told when initially diagnosed 3 years ago that I would need a THR at some point but they wanted to delay it until I was 50. This year I've felt it's detetiorated a lot and have had to give up the gym (pain still the same though). Saw consultant again yesterday who spent first 15 mins trying to put me off however my gp has put me on pain meds (2tramodol, 2 naproxen & 2 paracetamol at night which should knock out a horse but doesn't touch my pain for more than an hour at best). My concern was that if I'm on that much high dosage pain meds now what am I looking at taking over next 4 years. Anyway had the obligatory xray at which point he just said THR was only option as it had deteriorated so badly. Great I thought, let's do this, get my life and fitness back. Now a day later my head is buzzing with doubts and questions and I'm driving myself mental with research! Would rather hear from people who have had it done. I'm a single parent- 2 kids 18 and 13 at home, I do everything including working full time which is not salaried, I cannot afford to take 3 months off (also mentally this would do me in) so if I'm up and about would I be able to go back to work (I sit down all day not a manual job) after 2 weeks? How much "looking after" will I actually need on returning from hospital? (I'm an independent bugger and hate asking for help of any kind). My kids are at school and college and my 2 older ones work and dont live at home so I feel like I'm pretty stuffed. Am I ok to rest then just get up to make a brew or a butty? I've read stuff that says you can never cross your legs again? How is this possible if it's habit? I'm scared of what will happen if I can't bring in a wage plus I love my job!! Head is spinning sorry for all the questions- I know it needs doing but practicalities are scary!

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have had JRA since I was 11, 54 long years of arthritis.

I have learned that not all narcotics behave in my body...but, I have learned what works for me. I want to take the least amount of anything and have the best result.

Have you tried something other than Naproxin ..many different NSAIDs are available ..because we are all the same yet different. Ask your rheumatologist.

Paracetamol is acetaminophen is Tylenol...is a non narcotic pain reliever and antiinflammatory...which can be quite effective taken every 6 hours, dosed no closer, at a higher dose, like 500 mg. Also discuss this with your rheumatologist.

And narcotics...should be reserved for emergency flares. I prefer Morphine Sulfate Extended Release because it is effective for 12 hours and oxycodone 5 mg typically split in half

Work with your rheumatologist...a good rheumatologist should be able to manage your arthritis well with minimal use of narcotics.

You have not shared what type of arthritis you have, so I will use Rheumatoid as an example. Next to Lupus, it used to be savage.

Rheumatoid is a dynamic disease that morphs....this is why a medication that helps today may not help tomorrow.

By observing a person's reaction to a drug, we can learn a lot about the rheumatoid in that person's body...Both Enbrel and Humira are TNF, tumor necrosis factor. Individuals whose rheumatoid responds well to either Enbrel or Humira are said to have TNF driven rheumatoid. Rituximab is a monoclonal antibody against the protein CD20. For those who respond favorably to Rituximab, we say their rheumatoid is CD20 driven.

Sometimes rheumatoid arthritis can be successfully treated with an NSAID...non steriodal anti inflammatory drug...such as Orudis, Feldene, Naprosin, Naproxin, Motrin, Indomethacin, Butazolidin to name just a few.

Steriods...not to be confused with anabolic steroids...prednisone, budesonide, methylprednisolone are three of many. Many decades of study have taught us to use steroids judiciously because steroids cause unwanted side effects such as bone density loss. Today, steroids are prescribed using a burst approach...high dose fast start, immediate graduated decrease, off.

DMARDs & Biologics... disease modifying anti rheumatic drug...

This class of medications modify, literally change the way rheumatoid behaves... Methotrexate (now the gold standard), hydroxychloroquine, sulfasalazine, Orencia, Remicade are all typically oral.

Rituximab is delivered by infusion.

Enbrel in the mid nineties was the first DMARD. I still remember watching the television news that night with tears running down my face. Those of you who face rheumatoid today should never face the full fury of this disease. Nevertheless, matching a sufferer with the best medication to defeat their rheumatoid continues to take time. As the class of medication used increases, so too do the possible adverse side effects. Be patient and work with your rheumatologist, only a board certified rheumatologist, to fine tune a treatment effective against your rheumatoid.

54 years of severe juvenile rheumatoid has left my body permanently damaged and deformed because medicine did not have the wealth of knowledge it has today.

I am grateful for all of the analgesics, NSAIDs, and steroids that made it possible for DMARDs & biologics to modify even my severe juvenile rheumatoid. Today my JRA is relatively quiet. And once my rheumatoid quieted down, I forgot about the really tough times it raged.

Oh, I had my first joint surgery in 1971, at the age of 20. My first joint replacements were about 1985, at 34 I have had many revisions...I once asked a very famous surgeon, when won't you be able to replace them. He smiled and said, when you have no more skin.

Remember, medical knowledge is griwing exponentially each day. When I was born, you died with the same parts you were born with. Not any more.

What can not be done today will be done tomorrow.

Locate a university with a medical school with a clinic..famous...travel to be seen. This is your body, do not settle for second best.

And your children have been watching you suffer, admiring how mom manages to do everything....not until I stood at the side of my dad's bed did I learn that it is so much easier to be in the bed than it is to stand at the side of the bed wanting to do anything to make my dad feel better. Perhaps your children feel as I did...

• Posted

A few years ago I asked my dr. for something other than Tylenol for arthritic pain in my hands.  He told me to try an NSAID. He said that while Tylenol only helps with the pain, an Nsaid will also help with inflammation which is often the cause of the pain.  He said to try different NSAIDS since they have different actions, thus different results in relieving pain.
    • Posted

Aah thankyou. I have osteoarthritis- perhaps I should have said this. Just falling to prices really ha ha. So frustrating as I'm never ill otherwise! Sounds like you've had a journey and a half. My issue with the pain meds is that they don't actually touch the pain and it never goes as I've got an unusually high tolerance to them apparently (of course I have I can't be normal and be knocked out by 1 tramodol I have to be different 😂wink so I'm not taking any. For it to work I'd have to triple the dose which I'm not willing to do but feel I can cope now the end is in sight! My kids are all great and sure it'll be fine just me being a stubborn and hating to ask but I have to so I need to get over myself and get on with it!! Which I will. X

• Posted

Hi, my above reply was to you also but for some reason skipped a person. Thanks for getting back to me 😊

• Posted

Hi kirsty, 

warm welcome to this wonderful hippies forum where we share our personal stories and experiences- we come together here in all ages and stages of Hippieland ...

It is so overwhelming, isn't it ... We know ... 

One thing is for sure, life the way it is for you right now is not working anymore ..

Pain medication stop working but if you don't take them the pain is almost unbearable ...

Please go to the website created by one of our forum members, Graham, aka Rocketman :  

get the ball rolling, darling --- How long is the wait? 

and of course, come back here anytime you have a concern or question -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Get this done you will benefit.... also speak to PIP you will qualify for some of the benefits available to you.... I had bi-lateral in August at 55yrs and it is slow recovery.

​My advise is that if you need any help you have it at home already!!!  

​Speak to a benefit advisor at the local Citizen Advise Bureau who can point you in the right direction.   But you will definatelyqualify for the PIP and you may get other benefits.

​I had lost my job due to husband illness and my approaching operation (Nice of them to be so supportive).... and found that there is help out there until you are ready to return to work.  

​You will be amazed how soon you can manage to do things.... but anything heavy and sorry Kids that will be your remit in supporting your mum.

• Posted

Kirsty further to my message you can look on line and complete a short questionairre as to what  benefits you would be entitled to during this period..   www.gov.uk

• Posted

Hi Kirsty. I'm quite near you (Chory) and had my left hip replaced 4 weeks ago today. I used the Choose and Book system and got an appointment to have the op within a few weeks. Mine was done at Spire Hospital but paid for by the NHS.

My recovery has been very fast. Prior to it I went to the gym a lot and did what I could even though there was some pain - the exercise bike was ok after the first few minutes and I did upper body stuff that didn't involve the hip. Four weeks on I'm walking without any aids, no painkillers, only restricted to drive because I haven't seen my consultant yet (but could drive if I needed to). Going up and down stairs normally etc. My husband was around for the first week at home but then went back to work. I managed fine. The first few days were a bit grim but I had a really positive attitude and expected to recover quickly! (I accept that could have backfired!)

I honestly can't recommend this operation enough and delaying it makes no sense when you're in bone-on-bone pain. It isn't going to get better without the op.

Just a thought, could you do your client sessions by Skype for a bit? Your young people might be ok with that and it would conserve your energy. My main issue now is tiredness - it does take a lot out of you.

Good luck with it all.

• Posted

That should say Chorlton!)
    • Posted

Thanks Jenny, I'm inspired! Yes I'm thinking of phone sessions (most are in care so no Skype access) in fact I'm thinking of all sorts of ways to sort it out! I will succeed! So glad all went well for you. I've not been offered option of other hospitals are this point (I was when had bunion done 4 years ago but can't remember at what point but had it done at the Alex via nhs). If I'm given that option I will take it so I'm on asale many lists as possible. Think I need to grit my teeth and get back to gym to get ready for op - excuse at this point being that it's xmas and lots of nice food!! Sweet tooth is my downfall!! Thanks anyway for your positive response I'm definitely ready now!! X

• Posted

I had to really chase the NHS as they don't tell you about Choose and Book. They have to offer it if you ask and you can then choose a surgeon and a hospital. I know you're out of Manchester but if they'll find it I thoroughly recommend my surgeon Mr Batra at Spire. He's done a wonderful job on me.

• Posted

I can recommend Mr J Smith at Hillingdon Hospital... very understanding and explains everything...
    • Posted

I've got my consent appointment whatever that is next week so will mention it then. I think spite is one of the options from what I remember!!

• Posted

Great I've screen shot both so I remember the names for my appt next week!thanks

• Posted

Is that where they go through the risks and stuff? I don't know, I signed a consent form when I saw my consultant. I hope you can have it done at Spire - the Cheadle one is good too but Mr Batra is only at Whaley Range. His colleague Winston Kim is at Cheadle - he'd recommend him I think.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.