4mm incidental thyroid nodule to lt lobe.

Posted , 3 users are following.

i had an MRI done to my neck due to weird feeling  to lt side of tongue and throat and everything was normal except an incidental tiny nodule was found. The consultant reported it has nothing to. Do with the symptoms I am still experiencing. I had my rt lobe removed over 30 yrs due to lump and was advised to have the whole lobe removed to prevent reoccurrence. Did not ask many questions at that time. I have yearly blood tests and lt thyroid is functioning well so not taking any thyroxine. I saw my gp yesterday and asked whether he should refer me to a consultant. His advice was I do not present any symptoms at the moment and best to repeat the MRI in Jan . I am just wondering if anybody on this forum is the same position and what advice they have been given.? Is there a way to find out whether it can turn cancerous ?Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi marie13049, about 50% of adults present with thyroid nodules during a thyroid scan. In most patients these are incidental findings and do not cause any problems. Your nodule is small, probably that's why your GP recommended just monitoring.

To examine nodule tissue, the normal procedure is a fine needle aspiration.

• Posted

Thanks Dan.  Will just repeat the mri in January and take it from there. I would rather he has sought advice from a consultant rather than doing unnecessary scan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.