4mm stone. pressure in bladder, weak stream

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all. I was diagnosed with a 4mm stone 3 weeks ago when I went to the ER with horrible pain on the right side of my waist line ( had a CT scan done wink. This is my first stone. The doctor said that the stone is a few centimeters from entering the bladder. I was sent home with some pain killers and scheduled a follow up with my urologist.

I have a few questions. I have not been in any pain since the ER visit, but I  have pressure in my bladder area which is driving me nuts. It feels like something is poking my bladder. Is this an indication that the stone has passed into my bladder? I also have frequent urges to urinate. Normally I urinate one every 3-4 hours but lately it seems like I have to go all the time or have the feeling of having to go. I also noticed that my stream is somewhat weaker then normal which is stressing me out because if my stream is weak I am afraid I may not be able to pass the stone because there is not enough pressure to shoot the stone out.

I have a follow up with my urologist in 5 days to review the KUB ( I think that's what it is called ) xray In have done a week ago to see if the stone has moved since the CT at the ER.

Any insight or knowledge for a nervous newbie?? Thanks for reading this.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Get the doctor to do a cystoscopy and take it out.. they hope it passes but it’s your pain not theirs !  Dont let pass u around with pain killers ...
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. If the stone does not pass by my next appointment, I may ask the doctor to get it out. I really want to get on with my life.
  • Posted

Hi Tardy

I’ve passed several stones and once they get to your bladder they will pass. Drink tons of water. Are you female or male? It’s easier for women to pass them.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply dee. I am male.

Do you think my stone has passed into my bladder? Could this cause a weak stream?

• Posted

Hi, I have them at the minute. A 4mm stone should pass with no problems at all. But you may feel pain. I started with pains in my lower back, then they moved to my groin so assume some of them were passing. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply joanne. Do you have any urges or sensations to urinate more frequently? One of my concerns is the weak stream, not enough force to drive the stone out.
  • Posted

What you described is perfectly normal I have had 5 stones over 18 years. Just past one recently. That sensation in th bladder is a nusience I had for about week before I passed anything. Try to be patient and keep doing what you are doing it will pass trust me
    • Posted

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Do you think the stone has passed into my bladdder?

Any idea on weak stream?

• Posted

I passed a few stones the same size in the last few weeks and I also had a weak stream come and go, one day it was so uncomfortable I hung upside down and I don't know if it was coincidental but the next time I went the stream was much better.  Keep drinking water, water with lemon and more water.   I started having to go every 15 minutes with a weak stream coming and going a day or 2 before passing both stones so maybe with you going so much more your body is getting ready to get rid of it.  Good luck.

• Posted

Yes, that’s the sensation I get when I have stones. I almost always pass them in the morning when I wake up.  When I have a stone in my bladder I flood myself with water. Most all the time the pass within a few days.  The pain Meds help also, sometime relaxing the bladder. 
    • Posted

That is exactly what is going on with me. The weak stream comes and goes.

Thanks for the reply.

• Posted

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Hopefully I pass this stone soon or figure out a  resolution with my urologist.

I feel much better after reading all these responses.

Thanks again!!! Will update this thread when I have new news to share.

• Posted

Good that you are seeing a urologist.

Let me know how you are getting on.

Sarah

• Posted

Update.

I met with my urologist this morning and reviewed my KUB x-ray that was taken 2 weeks ago. My stone has not moved at all since my CT at the ER on 3/22.

I had another KUB xray done today and the stone is still in the exact same spot. So I have decided to go ahead and have a ureteroscopy done. I am so ready to get on with my life as this stone has been nagging me with the last 8-9 weeks.

My urologist said they will put me under and the procedure will take about a half hour or so. He also mentioned that he will put in a stent

Is a stent really needed? I have heard many horrible things about this, like pain, burning and frequent urination. Can I request that no stent be put in??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.