4pm explosion!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Diagnosed with diverticulitis a few years ago, following a colonoscopy. Prior to that, I was being treated for IBS. I have good days and bad.  I get bloating and diarrhoea / constipation as my normal symptoms. What seems to be worse is, during a bad spell (last few weeks) I have to run to the loo around 4 pm every day, which can be difficult and embarrassing. I feel generally tired and uncomfortable. Advice please! Thanks

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Chris. Sorry to hear of your problems. Im wondering what kind of diet(if any you may be on? Could it have become a nervous problem and that you are expecting this to happen each day?  Vera
    • Posted

I am not on any special diet as such Vera. I have kept food diaries and tried to identify anything that may be a problem, but there seems to be no pattern. My only advice from gp was to avoid tomato seeds!
  • Posted

At least until you feel better avoid anything with pips, seeds, skins or Spicy food. Stop eating tomatoes, grapes, beans, peas, seeded bread, nuts. You can eat apples, peeled, melon, cauliflower, cabbage, root veg. This worked for me, however people vary, but it's worth a try.
  • Posted

Is it possible that you have IBS and diverticular disease as well?  If so medication from your GP might be helpful.
    • Posted

I have had meds for IBS in the past, which didn't help. That is why I then had the colonoscopy and diverticular disease was diagnosed. I suppose a year or so on, I could have both! Thanks for your reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.