4th Water infection in 2 weeks!!!!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Just got up to go to the bathroom to find I have another water infection sad Awful pain when having a wee. That's 4 water infections in two weeks!! Can't take it. But I'm scared of the HRT side effects too! Don't know what to do. Feel like I am backed into a corner. I've had 4 lots of antibiotics in the last two weeks. Going to have to get another but its not easy on a Sunday. Only other answer is to risk HRT because whilst it didn't really help with the Vaginal soreness, I think it did stop the water infections. Clearly the lubricant hasn't done a lot to help. Don't want the infection to go to my false hip. Scared scared scared!!!

2 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Shirley

Poor you.  If you've never suffered with this you cannot believe the pain.  I had sex yesterday and am burning up today thankfully it is a vagifem day so am hoping it eases.

Buchu and Cornsilk that I use which is a herbal remedy for urinary tracts and contains all sorts of natural products.  When I started with VA and was in agony with peeing etc I used it every day but now just couple of times a week. Think it keeps the insides less acidic.  You could buy the stuff yourself and make your own.

I;ve just ordered some and also some Hydranga capsules that again are for urinary.

Personally I think once the VA is severe then you have to take some form of HRT.  At my worst I could not have continued to function.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Really sorry Linda to hear you are burning up today. Fingers crossed the Vagifem helps sort it out. Not heard of Buchu or Cornsilk, where did you order yours from? Not heard of hydranga capsules either. Yes I agree re the V A being severe and having to take hormones. It's very very difficult to cope with isn't it. I wouldn't mind but I had never heard of it till I got it! sad
    • Posted

Isn't it intersting that there are so many natural remedies available? This says that for thousands of years women have had these poblems and somehow figured out (can't imagine how) that grinding up a certain flower or the lining of a corn stalk(!) and ingesting it or applying it could create relief. This is what made me try acupuncture for various problems and it is tremendously effective...for me anyway. It's just the cost that keeps me from having more treatments.
    • Posted

Hi Linda yes forgot to mention the Bucha in my reply, this helps cure a UTI attack too.

Sue

• Posted

Hi Shirley ,I've got Pudental Neuralgia ,that goes through to the front ,feels like internal AV ,might want to check that out .Glad I did .i find it painful to sit ,stand ,and always have that Gyne AV feeling ,been this way 9 yrs until I found out about PN .one time I thought it 2 seperate issues ,until I looked into it further ,Sciatica will also affect Gyne parts .Dony know if this of any help .Soreness a big yes as well .
    • Posted

Hi Marlene, Thanks for your message about PN. I appreciate you having told me about it but I'm pretty sure ive not got PN.
    • Posted

marlene, I just looked at a video online about PN by a Stanford doctor who has written a book on it. Very interesting though I do think 99% of the women on this site have VA. One woman had posted here early on about having seen a woman who gave her massage which helped her so I assume that was what she was referring to. Makes a lot more sense to me now as I couldn't see how massage could help AV. Coincidentally, I think I have experienced occasional PN, nothing major. Just felt like very painful cramping in an area I couldn't even identify. Now it makes sense to me. Thanks for the info. If it were to increase I would know what to tell the doctor.
    • Posted

Hi Beverly PN isent well known to drs ,you just wonder at times are the Gyne symptoms related to other conditions ,I thought Gyne and Sciatica ,but with bowel Prob ,I never knew all of these symptoms females get ,even when you get to my age ,sure an eye opener .Always worth checking out what's put up ,don't hurt to look ,maybe just have found your answer end of day .Pays to to see a female Dr ,like I always say when it comes to female parts ,you need a female who understands what part your describing ,no male Dr can .Hold on to the PN info .
  • Posted

There is one more natural remedy that the ladies may want to google to check it out. It is organic honey from the health food store. Apparently this honey is moist in the vagina area and heals bacterial infections, such as yeast infections for example. You would have to do more research to read the benfits of raw honey inside the vagina area. Of course always make sure you are not allergic to honey. I read that is it used all the time for bad wounds etc as well. Have a look and see what you can find about this natural remedy for the vagina.

Blessings to all

Lynn

• Posted

Hi Lynn, Thanks for your comments about honey. I will Google it and see what I can find.
  • Posted

Hi Shirley...... I must confess I think of myself as Queen of UTIs

as I always seemed to be taking antibiotics.

I suffered terrible pain after having sex to the point that I

stopped sex altogether for fear of yet again having to go to the

Dr for more antibiotics. Last October a new Dr talked about HRT

and like you I was worried about side effects so she suggested

Vagifem as it a topical form and doesn't go into the blood

stream. Must admit I'm not having sex to often as I'm still

nervous of getting more infections but things do seem to feel

better...infact a first I couldn't insert the Vagifem pessary with

out feeling very sore.... I also use a lubricant product thats

natural called Sylk which also works quite well.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to return to a "normal" sex life as I feel sorry for Hubby.... just have to get over feeling uptight and

nervous even before anything happens.

I also keep a bottle of Potassium Citrate Mixture in the cupboard

....cost £2.00 ish... which is for cystitis and mild UTIs for times

when that familiar tingle starts.

• Posted

Please, please, don't do what I did, and take your doctors word for it that it doesn't go into the blood stream.  READ the online vagifem site.  If you then choose to still use it, you've made an informed decision, at least.
    • Posted

There's something important I should have added here.  Anyone who uses any form of HRT, whether it's topical or sytemic, needs to know if they have a closed cervix, because if you do, then you don't get the symptom of bleeding from the uterus that is the first sign of endometrial (womb) cancer.  Because of various ops (fibroids etc.) my cervix was closed and it was only because of bleeding when my GP didn't use the correct procedure to insert a ring pessary for prolapse, so there was abrasion against the cervix that caused bleeding, that I got sent for a scan to see where the bleeding was coming from and that's when they discovered there was blood/fluid in the uterus and thickening.
    • Posted

Chris, I am glad you are warning the ladies to do their homework. Too many of us do not do research before we use something on our bodies or in our bodies. Once someone is informed and is willing to take the risk of the side affects etc then at least they are acting on an informed decision. Just because a doctor recommends something does not mean it is going to be perfect or work for everyone in the same manner.

Blessings to you

Lynn

• Posted

You are so right there Lynn!  It's worrying just how much responsibility you have to take for your own medical problems.  At the end of the day, you find out what you can about anything prescribed, weigh up the benefits and possible risks, and make your decision, but it does need to be an informed decision, and unfortunately you just don't get that information from a doctor!  You should, but you don't.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about your UTI's. I used Vagifem, but whilst it didn't help with the soreness and wanting to wee all the time, I'm thinking it did stop the UTI'S. Not heard of potassium citrate before. Will have to Google that one too I think.
    • Posted

I think it does get int your blood stream, but not enough to cause problems...according to what my dr said. She even said it is given to cancer patients which I found difficult to believe, but...

You have to weigh the pros and cons. I am not having UTI's or painful sex (not having any, but it would be impossible if I attempted to) so I have not felt compelled to start using the premarin. If my circumstances were different my choices would be different. Just educate yourself as much as possible and ask your dr as many questions as you can think of. Ans share the info you get with us ;-).

• Posted

Beverley, by GP actually wrote to my cancer surgeon to ask (no idea why because there was no way I would consider it!) if she could use Vagifem with me after the hysterectomy.  My surgeon said no way for at least three years (they think if it's going to recur then it would be likely within three years).  But as I said before, you only have to look on the Vagifem site to see that the manufacturers tell you it is absorbed into the system.
    • Posted

Yes, it is absorbed, but I think the amounts are small enough to be considered safe, statistically speaking, which is how scientists make their decisions. Even some foods have estrogen in it. But I certainly understand people's reluctance to get near it in amy form. I've never had cancer and am avoiding it, but at some point  may have to use it depending on how the AV progreses and if more serious problems develop. My6 dr was trying to avoid that happening, but I just have a real aversion to using hormones. Would prefer the laser treatment.
    • Posted

Yes - that might be a relevant point for some Beverley - to try the natural estrogen route with foods and drinks high in estrogen.  BUT having said that I think there is a risk with natural estrogen like there is with tablets.  I know someone who got breast cancer that was linked to her eating so many foods high in estrogen because she dreaded looking older and her doctor told her that was most likely the reason.  Because it's natural, doesn't mean it can't harm.  You only have to look at various supplements that you can overdose on to see that.  But I think there are going to have to be some women who have little choice and have to weigh up the pros and cons like any of us do with something that is affecting our lives seriously and decide whether to take the meds or not.  It's like the choice of having an arthritic knee operated on - do you or don't you.  For me I'll wait until my life is affected enough for me to feel the gains outweigh the risks, and I think that's it, in a nutshell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.