4th Water infection in 2 weeks!!!!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Just got up to go to the bathroom to find I have another water infection sad Awful pain when having a wee. That's 4 water infections in two weeks!! Can't take it. But I'm scared of the HRT side effects too! Don't know what to do. Feel like I am backed into a corner. I've had 4 lots of antibiotics in the last two weeks. Going to have to get another but its not easy on a Sunday. Only other answer is to risk HRT because whilst it didn't really help with the Vaginal soreness, I think it did stop the water infections. Clearly the lubricant hasn't done a lot to help. Don't want the infection to go to my false hip. Scared scared scared!!!

2 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just a quick update re the helpline I WAS going to ring! It's called the Amarant Trust. Look it up on Google. Well of all stupid things, their helpline phone number isn't working! So frustrating. So I have sent them an email instead. Watch this space.
    • Posted

maybe they can't get enough funding to man the phones if this is a charitable group. Seems pitiful women have to rely on charity for their health problems. Hate to sound cynical, but this is an older women's problem rather than a young sexy woman's problem so I can see why it for many reasons it wouldn't be at the forefront of medical care.
  • Posted

Quick update.

Been on antibiotics since the weekend, got a weeks worth. Also got my D Mannose. I am going to hopefully use the D Mannose has a preventative when my antibiotics have finished. If the D Mannose works, it would be great as I could avoid so many antibiotics or the HRT. Looking back I think the only thing that the HRT did for me was stop the UTI'S. So if the D Mannose works, I could maybe use that and the Vit E Oil as a lubricant. I can live in hope.

• Posted

I have had such good results with the D Mannose Shirely.  I am glad you are giving it a try.  My dr said I should take 1000 mg a day ... so I got capsules that are 500 mg and I take one in the morning and one before bed.  If I start to feel like a uti is coming on I will add one more during the day and drink lots of water to flush out my system. 
    • Posted

Glad to hear you have such good results Pat. I will be doing like you are with the D Mannose. Only thing is, its very expensive isn't it so I need to find a cheaper source. Do you think I should start using it as soon as I come off the antibiotics? I notice in recent weeks that it's only taken a couple of days after finishing my course of antibiotics for the infection to re-appear!!
    • Posted

shirley, why not ask the doctor about taking it along with the antibuotic? Could be there will be no negative interaction and you'll get a start on prevention.
    • Posted

Yes that's a good idea Beverly. I can try and get the doc to call me back on Monday. I think the antibiotics actually run out on Monday lunch time so if I can start using the D Mannose on Monday it would be good. But even better still, I can always see what the nurse on NHS 111 says tomorrow can't I. Surely they would know if its OK to take the antibiotics and the D Mannose together.
    • Posted

there is a site that has 153 reviews. google, check it out and speak with the nurse. Sounds like it is a sugar that works on e-coli. Is that what causes UTI's?
    • Posted

Shirley if your getting the infection back so quick after finishing a course of antibiotics it sounds to me as though your body is getting used to them and they are no longer working, this is what happenes when one takes to many antibiotics, they are also wiping out your immune system which is leaving you open for another attack. next time  when you have finished taking the antibiotics take probiotics to replace the good bacteria the anitbiotics have destroyed and take them every day. Start the mannose to prevent another attack, yes it is very exspensive i agree but you can in the end just take one teaspoonfull at night. ive found with just taking the probiotics that i no longer need the mannose but keep some indoors just incase i should get a  bad flare up.

Sue  x

• Posted

Hi Sue, Thanks for your message. I know what you mean about my body getting used to antibiotics when the infections come back so quick. I am on my 4th lot of antibiotics now. So the infection has come back 3 times. I'm not sure it will come back a 4th time but probably it will. Is it possible for my body to become resistant to antibiotics so quickly? I know what you mean about the antibiotics wiping out my immune system too though I must admit I thought it would have taken more than 4 doses for this to happen. So either my recurring infections are because of my resistance to antibiotics or because I'm not using any HRT at the moment for my Vaginal Atrophy. Anyway whatever the reason, I think your idea to take probiotics is a good one. Does this have to be in tablet/capsule form or can I just eat yogurts or something? I will definitely use the D Mannose. It can't interact with the antibiotics or any other medication can it? I'm pretty sure my antibiotics run out on Monday lunchtime so I will take some D Mannose on Monday night and go from there. I've got some summer fruits cordial. I could put some in that couldn't I. Must admit my soreness on weeing went a couple of days after starting the Nitrofurantoin and needless to say its been a huge relief. I'm just scared of it coming back to I'm hopeful that the D Mannose will work. Thanks again. Shirley

• Posted

there is plenty of info & advice by med professionals on the internet, like this from the med director of a WA state hospital:

D-mannose is very safe, even for long term use, although most women .... with single episodes of bladder or urinary tract infection will only need it for a few days at most. Although D-mannose is a simple sugar, very little of it is metabolized. It doesn’t interfere with blood sugar regulation, even for diabetics. It creates no disruption or imbalance in normal body microflora. It’s safe even for pregnant women and very small children.

The body absorbs very little and what is excreted prevents the e.coli from sticking to the walls of the urethra. It sound almost criminal that doctors would pump their patients full of antibiotics when something this safe is available. But then studies will not have been done because those are paid for by drug companies whose main reason for existence is to sell more drugs.

Lactobacillus probiotics twice a day is suggested to further discourage repeat infections. Bodies do not get used to antibiotics; bacteria become resistant to them which can lead to serious problems.

• Posted

Thanks Beverly for your message. Much appreciated. I will definitely get on to the D Mannose when my antibiotics have run out. :-)
    • Posted

Shirley:  I too have had one infection after another, just got off a 5 week course of 3 different antibiotics till they found one that worked, just drained.  hope you have luck with the D Mannose... I am okay now but dreading the next infection, using HRT premarin twice a week, was on nitrofurantoin for 3 months straight and when I went off back came the infection.
    • Posted

Hi Nancy, I'm on Nitrofurantoin now. Dreading the infection coming back when I come off it so, as a last resort I am trying D Mannose before I start back on HRT. Ovestin to be precise. I've heard of Premarin before today though don't know what the difference is between that and Ovestin etc. That must have been awful for you, having to go on antibiotics for 3 months, only for the infection to return when you finished the course. Glad you are OK now. All I know is that I will have to use the Ovestin if the D Mannose doesn't work, because HRT was the only thing that stopped the UTI'S.
    • Posted

Hi Shirley... I think Ovestin and Premarin are pretty much the same.  I agree HRT is the only think that stopped my UTI's for 4 months ... now I am counting the days and hoping it doesn't come back.  You know no one talks about this... I didn't even know what vaginal atrophy was till I saw my latest gyn/urologist.  Good to know I am not alone, though I don't wish this on anyone.   let me know how the D Mannose works, is it a pill or powder.. I will try anything..
    • Posted

Shirley if you choose to take yoghurt then make sure its a live one and sugar free, personally id recommend capsules of a good quality like from a health shop. Im taking a couple every day now and as yet no more bladder/ uthreral discomfort. Also drinking aloe vear juice is good as its an internal healer.  Sorry for delay in answering, been away.

Sue x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Susan. I will probably get some good quality Capsules from an health food shop in town depending on how I am tomorrow. I've just taken my last antibiotic at 8pm tonight. I will probably start the D Mannose tomorrow too. I don't expect everyone to get back to me straight away so don't worry about being delayed. I hope you had a good weekend where-ever you went. Thanks again. :-)
    • Posted

Thanks Shirley, also theres a tablet called urvi ursi or something like this which is also good for ITI flair ups, the thing is to keep these wretched things away in the first place, vitamin c also is a good preventative too.

Holland and barrets have a penny sale on at the moment on line too.

My weekend was going to my brother in laws re newal wedding vowels and the evening do.  incase they dont forward this message im copying it so i can paste and send as a pm lol 

• Posted

Not heard of Uva Ursi before, or whatever its called. I'd no idea about Vitamin C either. Thanks for the info re H and B. I took my last antibiotic at 8pm last night so I'm thinking I will have some D Mannose first thing in the morning and before I go to bed. Trouble is its so expensive that I daren't use too much of it. Going to have to get some cheaper on Amazon or somewhere I think. I will also get some Vit C tabs. Watch this space!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.