4weeks today

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello , everyone im on 4weeks today on 20mg citalopram , for depression and anxiety , first 2 weeks were hell , 1week bad side effects very on edge and nerous , jumpy , sweeting at night , very bad sleeping-getting to sleep , staying asleep , waking early morn , not being able to slep again !!! now at week 4 started to take an over counter sleep pill ,nytol one a night , seems to have helped (2nights ) , have major problem with motivation in mornings to get up and out off bed , im off work for a few days at mo , maybe work would be a reason to get up , but as work on call at night -not looking forward to being back in , finding and reading this site has been such a help. sb

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I'm almost 3 months into taking Cit now.

The first weeks I felt sick and drugged up. After a month I got bad anxiety too and felt lethargic with no motivation at all. Now at 3 months I feel great 95% of the time and am really motivated now, my life is a lot better now. Just thought I'd let you know that it should get a lot better, just give it some time.

Good luck x

• Posted

hello gracescot , thank you for reply , this site is so much help , just want to get my self sorted and back to beinfg me , keep asking chemists how long be for benefits kick in over side effects , does citalopram realy life you . sb
  • Posted

Hi

It took about 2 months for it to settle down for me. I was taking 20mgs from day 1. There were times within that initial period that I thought it was never going to work for me. Things definately got worse before they got better.

Lethargy and lack of motivation had now faded and I feel optimistic. This is such a relief after being in the black hole of depression for 3 years. Another great feeling is being confident and happy to be me. No more self hate. I don't feel artificially happy either, just able to be me now, free from all the head mess.

I'm doing cbt as well, which will help me in the longer term.

This isn't a miracle drug but its put me in a position to help myself and look forward to the future, not hide from life.

Take care of yourself. x

• Posted

hello gracescot , seem to be going backwards now , just got up at 1230,just feel like crap , so empty , my heads all fuzzy like ive been hit buy a basebal bat ?! and pins and neddles in my arms , does that sound right ?
  • Posted

Hi

Yes, I got really bad anxiety after about the first month. Had palpitations, pins and needles, was shaking like mad, woke up in panic. Felt that my depression was slowly lifting to be replaced by crazy panic. I remember pacing up and down the lounge wringing my hands. Got a yoga cd and going that helped, rather than freaking out.

The anxiety lifted over the next month, then finally my motivation came back.

It took about 9/10 weeks altogether. I still get the odd down or anxious day but everyone gets those. I just feel that I'm looking at life from a different perspective now, where I can see the good things, even the problems I can sort out without them pulling me down or me feeling like a failure.

So don't worry, I went through very similar (and it was horrible) but it doesn't last forever. It has really helped me and fingers crossed it'll help you too x

• Posted

By the way SB, you do tend to go up and down in these first few months, so don't fret about going backwards. When I first started on here I read a post that talked about it being like the scales on a dragons back, going up and down ..but gradually moving upwards.

This forum is good, I read a lot of posts which I could relate to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.