4wks in on Monday

Posted , 10 users are following.

I’m on here quite often. I’m now going to vent.

TKR sucks sucks sucks. Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch. Really bad day when’s it going to turn a corner? I’m only 66 I look 10yrs older 

Suki 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I really struggled in the early days, lack of sleep was a killer for me (& my hubby!). I’ve never felt pain like it, first weeks were hell.  I’m now 10 weeks and the only problem I have is my ROM, currently working on that & strengthening.  Have started back to work part-time and they reckon I look pretty good!  Don’t lose hope... it just takes time.  Best Wishes.

• Posted

Been there I’m 67 just a young thing😀😀. 4 weeks is so early you’ll have to suck your cheeks in a bit longer, it does get better, but horrible in the early dys, lack of sleep doesn’t help or lack of independence, it’s short term hang on in there, spoil yourself, chocolate, box sets what ever it takes

good luck😀😀😀😀

• Posted

I'm 8 weeks out.  Not been a very good week at all. Injured hip trying to elevate knee.  Had to go to the weekend clinic today to make sure I don't have an infection because I was up all night with throbbing pain.  No infection, thankfully.  Trying to cut down on pain meds because I am so nauseated all the time from them.  I injured my foot so I can't do as much exercise as I should.  We can't give up though.  Everyone needs to vent at times.  I'm just tired and I want my knee to bend properly.  Hope everything begins to improve for you. I'm dreaming of walking down by the river once again and seeing the kingfishers this spring.  I wish I could take anti inflammatories but I can't.  I have to fill in the gap pain relievers.   

• Posted

When the spring comes you will enjoy it like you haven't done for years, it's a good thought to have in mind, good wishes to you...

• Posted

Just manage it all the ways you can, heavens you're only four weeks,got a long way to go,but it does get better.  Just takes a long long time.

good luck

Mike

• Posted

Hey Suki,

I’m 71 and 14 weeks post-op Ltkr and can tell you it does get better!  The first 4 weeks for me were the pits, thought for sure I’d made the worse mistake of my life.  But as the days have turned into weeks and months, things are improving..slowly, but improving.  

I understand what you’re saying about looking/feeling older, but that too shall pass, patience, my dear.  In a few weeks you’ll feel like putting on a bit of makeup, fixing your hair and going for a walk or to the store.  You’ll have more good days than bad, but even the bad days will become less frequent, promise.  Hang in there, life awaits you !

Many blessings and stay in touch.

Cherry 🍒 

• Posted

Thank you Cherry I hope your right because I tried going out for a little fresh air yesterday and ended up showing myself up by crying in the street I also live in a 1st floor flat (no lift)so hard to get out in first place. Anyway onwards and upwards xxxxx
    • Posted

Hi Suki,

Crying can be good for the soul, so go ahead and cry!  I’ve had plenty of crying days, still do, but less and less.  There are times I wondered if my decision to have this surgery was good.  But as I go through the ups and downs of this journey I know I’ll be fine.  It is always comforting to know you’re not alone.

Keep in touch, you’re in my prayers.  Many blessings, Cherry🍒

• Posted

Hi Cherry thanks for your post I’m 4wks in today still crying like a wimp and the pain is horrendous will it ever end? Suki xxxx
  • Posted

I know how you feel. I’m almost 5 weeks post tkr and it’s getting better. It just takes time and lot of patience but keep up exercises and stretches you will make it. I know I feel and look a lot older after mine but we got to know we just went thru major surgery. 
    • Posted

Hi Deb I hope you’re right 4wks today and yes obviously better than last week but the pain is so bad still taking meds.

Doing all the right things and resting 

Suki xxxx

• Posted

Hi I had my second TKP done almost 9 weeks ago I had bad fall almost 2 years ago and walking is really painful in Ankle as well as knee stills hurts a lot when walking very fed up I thought my other leg healed sooner I not 100% sure but this pain I am going to see private PT this just want to make sure everything is ok as I have pain from foot to thigh 😢

• Posted

Hi I had my second TKR done almost 9 weeks ago and the pain OMG I still can’t walk without pain still using stick outside I’m going to see private PT this week just want to make sure everything is ok as I was much better on first TKR I have pain from ankle to thigh 😢

• Posted

Hi I had LTKR done 9 weeks ago and the pain is still bad walking is a killer even with stick I’m going to private PT this week just to make sure nothing wrong and that I’m doing right excerise etc but the pain OMG so fed up 😢

• Posted

Deirdre,

I'm 8 weeks post op and very discouraged.  I believe I had too many other joint issues to have this surgery and that is why I am not doing very well.  I seem to be destroying my feet and other knee.  I'm going to a podiatrist this week to see if there is anything he can do to help my feet.  I've religiously done the knee exercises and still can't bend my knee very far and my leg is not getting any straighter.  I've had reactions to many of the meds and laxatives I've been given.  I wish I could find someone who could really help me.  I'm six feet tall and getting in and out of the car and chairs is torture.  I'd like to know if you get any help.  If I could know there will be a pain free day in my future it would help.  

• Posted

Hi Deirdre so glad I’m not on my own with the pain issue, in fact I’m so drugged up at the moment I’m glad I’ve got predictive text. 

Wish you better Suki xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.