5.5 weeks it was going so well .... strange deep pains.. any one had this?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hey all :-) hope you are all having a nice day. 

so all has been going well and iv dropped down to one crutch and as of last week the physio had said to try and get rid of both of them. so alls been going great. 

then yesterday i started getting what i can only describe as "deep bone like pains"  feels nothing like muscular pains of which i have plenty in many strange shapes. my sleep has got worse as im waking stifer and probably a little sorer.  i do have Non axial Sponaliytis (ankolyising spondalytis in my pelvis and lower back instead of upper spine) 

My hope is that at 5 and a half weeks the space around the  metal shaft is filling with new bone my worst fear is that there is a bigger problem... the pain is not all the time im not aware of my hip at all most of the time then i get the odd deep twinge, perhaps about max 20 times in one day its only the odd one deep twinge or two at a time its not like its throbbing a lot. (thers one now lol) i guess it feels like a pulse of pain. 

has anyone experienced this? i currently have instructions to not bother foning the hospital with any quieries just to go straight there but im on my own and have no way to get there. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It could still be your muscles and tendons repairing themselves. I am 8 weeks in and still get shooting feeling in all different places though not really painful.

However, if you are concerned you won't settle til you get peace of mind. If you really can't get there why not call the hospital and see what they say. If they feel you should go in perhaps they will provide transport.

Hope you feel peace soon

Sandra x

• Posted

Its not super painful, even these pains are nothing like pre op. im currently on the plan of keeping myself warm, and then icing it, doing gentle physio but cutting out most of the major stuff today and when i go for my next walk if the same thing happens ill call them. i did have a really rubbish nights sleep. I have the weekends formula one to keep me compmany for anther 30 odd laps which iv told myself to sit here and behave lol 
  • Posted

Deep pain is usually the stem settling in and bone growing around it plus all the muscles healing. Muscles take up to two years to heal. I am two years out now and still get occasional stem pain. Last Saturday I danced for three hours at a party. Hip was great. 
  • Posted

Dear Hipster

Please stay with the two crutches for a bit longer whatever the physio says. Your muscles need to be able to properly support you without any hint of a limp.

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

Yes - shooting pain in the femur, or middle of leg, local GP told me healing issues, got it both times with both hips.

I said to someone else on this forum, nerve ends connecting up and talking to each other.

I have no better explanation, and I don't think the Dr's do either.

It does pass given a little more time.

Just ease off on the physio and or exercise for a few days and see how you go.

This is a marathon not a sprint, I'm afraid the getting well bit, surgeon told me a year for most healing and two years for the final touches. 

He was right, I have only now got to two years out, and finally with lots of physio come right, and still have twinges in back occasionally, but I know what to do, into the local heated pool and a week of non-weight bearing treading water, and it seems to loosen up cramped and twinging muscles.

• Posted

dear Hipster, 

So disappointing, right ?  I agree with previous comments -

A great deal of the recovery takes place in the first two months, but complete return to normal takes longer. Bone around the metal parts keeps changing and remodeling for 1 to 2 years after surgery, which is why you can feel deep aches, pains and sometimes can tell when the weather changes. After that time, the hip will feel normal.-

I guess you can see it the way you see it ... the space around the hardware is filling up with new bone material and that is what you might feel --- your body is a wonderland , darling --- healing and repairing the damages all by herself - 

You are doing great - give it some time - 

However .... if the pain turns into a stabbing one or you develop a fever, go to Urgent Care or make an appointment to see your doctor ..

when is your follow up appointment scheduled for?

come back here and let us know how you are getting on, okay //

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.