5 ablations and now possible Pace and Ab. Have you had one?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had PAF for 17 years.  At first I needed a fleconaide infusion to cardiovert, but after my first cryo ablation I continued to have attacks every few months, but they reverted spontaneously after about an hour.  Since then I have taken Sotalol and Wafarin.  I have had four more ablations, the last a radiofrequency,  under a general an. so that I would be completely still.  I had great hopes, but unfortunately had another attack after 5 weeks.  This time I had to have amiodorone to revert it after 7 hours.  My cardiologist wants to wait another couple of months, but has said that 'pace and ablate' may be my only other option.  Has anyone had this procedure, and how has it been for you.  I am told that you can still feel the AF even though you have a pacemaker.  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I did not reach this stage Theresa but was well on my way but so far my third ablation has worked. You have my sympathies for having ablations fail is truly horrible and five of them - ugh! Its probably worth waiting a little longer to see if it does settle down but maybe the pacemaker route will work best in the longer term. Maybe there is another forum for pace maker discussion?
    • Posted

I am really pleased that your procedure has worked. I feel for everyone who has this condition.  I feel so limited as to where I can go these days, never knowing when an attack will start.  I would not dare undertake a ship or plane trip.  But thanks for your reply, I will keep my fingers crossed.
  • Posted

From what I understand, a pacemaker does nothing to stop the AF but keeps your heart rate from going too low.  I've had mine since 8/16 and forget it's even there.

We are never cured from AF, we are just lucky if the ablation gets it into remission.

My first one failed, but the second one appears to have been successful (done 12/16).So sorry you have had so many fail.  I hope whatever happens to you next, you will be able to get off the amiodorone.  I wish you luck.

• Posted

When I have an AF attack my heart goes very fast.  The doctor has told me that if I have a pacemaker, when an attack starts the pacemaker will bypass the atria and pace my heart normally, although the atria will still continue to fibrillate.  He said some people still do not feel well, and when I asked him what he meant, he said that some people continue to feel the AF and its accompanying breathing problems.  He was very honest about it and did not present it as a perfect solution.  Thanks for your reply and I wish you all the best with everything.
  • Posted

Hi Theresa: I've had 4 failed ablations for flutter and am currently on Tikosyn. I live in US. I was offered amiodorone but I was too afraid of it. I have discussed a pacemaker with my Electrophysiologist because I still get some symptoms. I feel it is in my future. He did tell me at one point that there is a pacemaker that can out pace the racing that occurs and also help when my heart goes too slow. I did not look further into that because my heart settled down during that time so my doctor agreed to wait and see. My last real problem occurred November. I thoight I would mention what I was told. I don't know how readily available that technology is. But it might be something to look into.

• Posted

Hi Deanna - thanks for your reply.  I think the pacemaker I have been offered is the sort that you mention. I live in the UK. My cardiologist said he would not give me amiodorone tablets because of the side effects, but I did have it as an infusion to cardiovert recently.  I have been asked to wait a little longer to see if there is any real improvement after my last ablation which was 10 weeks ago, then if attacks continue,  I will have to seriously consider the pacemaker. Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.