5 am and Flooding....

Posted , 14 users are following.

5 am and I have just slipped back into bed. Here is my story, can anyone relate?

I wake up to the sensation of flooding and realize I better get my arse headed to the bathroom. I jump out of bed only to realize that the blood is running down both legs as well as sizable clots and that I am gonna leave a trail that I am going to have to come back and clean up. All this happens in seconds, and before i can even get moving, a massive Charley horse hits me in the back of my right thigh and leaves me cussing like I am in a scene from the exorcist. Finally it subsides and I run to the bathroom, kicking something laying in the hall floor and ripping my little toenail off. Great, more blood loss. I make it to the bathroom, clean myself up (no small feat) and change clothes and then begin the clean up of the trail and bed. Finally, I crawl back into bed, knowing I have this to look forward to again. The hubby is snoring peacefully. At least the dog missed me. Lol.

It used to be 7 or 8 days of heavy period, light clots and lots of cramping. For my entire life......in knew what to expect. Now I'm know what to expect...7 to 8 days, but 2 of them I will be unable to leave the house due to the tidal wave of blood and clots that are huge. The rest of the time its pretty light. Oh well. At least the cramps are gone and the crippling anxiety is getting better. Phew! Lol

Anybody else experiencing the flooding and clots? Been doing this about a year. I am 45 and been in perimenopause i would say for about 5 years. Still have regular periods, they have just changed. So flat I started taking iron pills, they have been a lifesaver.

Riding the red tide on the Oregon Coast,

Kimberly smile

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Kimberly.

Yes. I had the flooding periods for about a year before they stopped. I would wear a super plus tampon a huge pad and put towels down over the sheets. Still, I would have to get up every couple house. I found progesterone cream from the health food storeade things a little better. Hang in there...this too shall pass.

• Posted

Hi deardoe, yes, sorry you ripped your toenail(ouch) I went through similar flooding this and it's a very unpleasant feeling, especially with the horrible charlie horse pain that i still get. Your periods will start to subside with time. Hang in there.

• Posted

DearDoe,  I really feel for you. I'm not going thru' half of what you are, in fact my experience is probably only just starting. I stopped having regular periods at 48 and at 51 I hadn't had a period for over a year until yesterday and it is pretty heavy for me.   When they were more regular I remember streams of blood down my leg/legs and being up during the night and it's not nice at all.  What does your doctor say? Have you done tests? I hope so. I'm going to doc this pm after work for some advice.

• Posted

Not going to do all the blood testing...seems unreliable. It's just a natural, if not sucks, stage of life and I am grinning and bearing it. Ugh. Lol

• Posted

....sorry didn't finish off

i hope you feel much better soon

Bev

• Posted

ha. This was funny, even though I shouldn't laugh.  It's a real battle isn't it, to keep any sort of routine while going through this mayhem?  They say to keep yourself calm and avoid stress!!  How are we supposed to do this when we have to deal with this. Sorry for the terrible night you've just had and hope you have a better night tonight.  

• Posted

That is aweful. Sorry you have to deal with that. I've been lucky in that aspect. My periods have always been normal and getting lighter but my mind has been the most affected.

• Posted

Hi Kimberly, omgosh some of this made me laugh.....we have to try and keep our humor through some of this because Lord knows we have all cried enough. I have been getting flooding off and on but nothing like the red wave. I do get clots though. Ugh! I hope that you take plenty of time to relax today. You need it! Take care and im praying for you smile

• Posted

Hi Doe, been through that between 47-52 there were times just like you got up out of bed flooding to the bathroom and gushing when I get up from sitting

i found out I had a small 2cm fibroid on my uterus hanging like a stalk since had it remove....my period has calm down early last year and now they have totally stopĀ 

not in post yet but hoping to finish this year

it will slow down for you takes a while and when it does you feel lot happier and better....hugs xxx

• Posted

Hi DearDo...i was up at 5.30 this morning exactly the same...the shower looked like a murder had been commited....i am also on iron tabs which i have run out of yesterday...so i am feeling dizzy today..i am sick of it...i have a perod for a week 2-3 days really heavy.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your kind words and sharing your stories. I just had to share my night because in the end I had to laugh.

For some reason, the pot of my post that mentions sick stomach and hot spells and chills during my.periid was omitted. Anyone else have that problem?

• Posted

Oh gosh, I do struggle with flooding in the night and clots but never managed to make it sound funny! I'll think of you next time it happens ??

• Edited

oh god this used to happen to me in the end i went to the shop and purchased some panty pad knicker pants that old people wear Ā and was it a life saver i just put them on at bedtime and i didnt worry one bit about flooding , they are so good just tell your husband and they wont go near you ha ha my husband just said well if they work use them its so funny when the men turn over in the morning to give you a cuddle you sound like a bag of crisps um ha ha not great when you are still young but hey give anything a goĀ 
    • Posted

Lol. I was just thinking about getting some if those. Hubby wouldn't care and I wouldnt care if he did. Lol

• Posted

That has been every period since last November. I actually skipped a period for the first time in June (yay). Now I am on day 20 of my July period . I only had flooding for the first few days and now either light flow or just spotting 20 days!! I don't know about you but the heavy bleeding scares me!! Will this really end?? I have a few small fibroids but the doctors can't say if they are causing heavy bleeding or just my age (51). I have also started to have bad cramps!! I had a biopsy and MRI but everything was normal besides my fibroids.

• Posted

It used to scare me, and honestly I do have an occasional melt down cry, but now it is just starting to feel like part of a natural process. Once I got my anxiety under control, that has really helped. There are so many of us experiencing the same things and I find that reassuring.
    • Posted

Thank you! It's good to hear other woman are surviving this process. My sisters and friends don't experience this and they are tired of hearing about it!! I know that half the battle is my own anxiety...

• Posted

Lorene

Your post has given me some comfort. I'm in to week 6 of my latest period and I am really stressed out. Sometimes it's light and sometimes it's heavy with the odd spell of gushing and cramps. Have just started HRT so I'm hoping this will settle things down.

Ann

• Posted

Sorry you are going through this too! Have you been to a GYN ? I have tried hormones (provera), an IUD and now I am just using natural things for my symptoms. Some days mine will completely stop and them I have a sudden gush. Nothing like a normal period anymore and it gets really old! Let me know how you are doing !
    • Posted

Sorry you are going through this too! Have you been to a GYN ? I have tried hormones (provera), an IUD and now I am just using natural things for my symptoms. Some days mine will completely stop and them I have a sudden gush. Nothing like a normal period anymore and it gets really old! Let me know how you are doing !
    • Posted

Have talked to my doctor who said it is normal for perimenopause. Doing it naturally because I am not interested in the side effects of hormones. It has gotten a bit better over the last couple months and hope it continues in that direction. Have a great day!
    • Posted

I am waiting on a GYN appointment. And that too is stressing me out! I hate all this but my doctor has reassured me that this is all normal so I need to try and settle my nerves a bit
    • Posted

I understand about the nerves and anxiety. One day at a time. I am using a natural supplement called Slow Flow. It seems to be helping the amount of bleeding. I ordered it from Amazon .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.