5 days

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on 20mg citalopram for 5 days and am feeling apsolutely awful.  Can't sleep or eat and feeling really agitated.  Feel much worse than I did prior to taking it.  Anyone else feeling like this?  I'm not sure how much longer I can take this.  Is this normal?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm on the same boat.

Taking half of citalopram 10mg. My third dose will be tomorrow. I tried my first dose at night, and I could not sleep at all, maybe an hour or 2. So I skipped the next day,and took it today at 9am. Bad anxiety up until around 6, trouble breathing, and chest discomfort. But around 630 pm it went away. Now it's 1236am, and I'm trying to sleep. Trying not to lose motivation.

• Posted

Keep at it jenny it's just the side effects which will taper off in a week or so....citalopram will work for you it just takes time...good luck hin
  • Posted

Hi Jenny,

What you have described is usual for Citalopram, I and others will reassure you (even though you will not think or feel this now) that it does get better. The age old mantra here is you have to give it time!

The added extras (I prefer this to side effects as this sound negative) that you are discribing are quite usual when taking Cita. Stick with this forum, which is the best, and you will get all the advice you need from those that have been there, like me. Saying that I am not quite out of the woods or fully recovered, but I am certainly much better than I was.

Some of the experiences here on this forum, or the added extras, you may or may not get nor the same intensity as others so try and not let that concern, worry you or over think about it.

Everyone is a one off so, how it affects others may not be the same for you as Cita, or as I prefer to call it this sticking plaster for the brain, has to repair the damage in each individual for the reason they were prescribed it. So that also plays a big part in how we recover and how long. What we can do, when we can, as I and others have, is to change our lifestyle and remove ourselves from that which brought us here in the first place. In my case I was prescribed Cita for work related stress after six years of giving my all to a system that as soon as possible cast me on the scrap heap after I became ill.

Anxiety, agitation, feeling fuzzy, appetite loss are very usual and you will just have to try and ride them out the best you can with our, your GP and hopefully someone close to you as well. Having a Family member or someone else close who does or is willing to understand what is happening to you and what you are going through really does make a difference to recovery. Always keep up regular appointments with your GP to let she/he know exactly what you are going through, how you feel and to be able to discuss further help is necessary. This forum, probably the best in the world, is an added support system and it saved me so, that is why you'll hear me keep banging on about it!

If your appetite goes then eat what you fancy go for comfort food if you have to, but only until yer appetite returns, once it does start eating healthy which will help your SSRIs. Healthy food is anything that has not been interfered with by man – you'll be surprised the health issues caused by all processed foods and how easy it is becoming to eat healthier. I also gave up smoking (and glad I finally did), drinking (which now, to be honest I do have an ale now and again, but I am nearly out the other side) and I also gave up meat (not seafood). This has all made a great difference to my body and mind.

However, in the meantime you need to have an emergency duvet downstairs or your most used room outside of the bedroom so when you do manage to get out of bed to only make it as far as that room you have a duvet there to crawl under and curl up in until you feel like moving again. Do not listen to the news more than once a day, do not watch TV (especially reality (not) TV) or DVDs, apart from uplifting films, programmes or documentaries. When you feel like it play music or listen to the radio and if you can crank up the volume, sing, dance (even have a good old scream) about the house – it really is good for the old soul even though it may not last long, it will give you a lift, help you see how good you can feel!

For now, all it remains for me to say is Welcome to the Club! Whenever you need or just feel like you want to post, no matter how insignificant it may be, then post and we (not just me other more sensible people will answer too) will help, advise and guide you the best we can.

Regards,

David

• Posted

No problem, I am glad you feel so. We are all here to help anytime or as soon as we come out from under the duvet! Lol!

David

• Posted

i feel worse since starting it. but my docs assures me it will get better and to not give up. i sit here now feeling anxious and worried but not sure why
    • Posted

Hi Turvell,

I just replied to Jenny's post, you may like to take a look at what I wrote which is pretty general to those at this stage.

Personally for you though, I never had anxiety or panic attacks until taking Cita either. Then after finding this fantastic forum I posted and was advised that Cita causes anxiety to be able to treat it where and when necessary! GREAT! I experienced things like you are that I have never ever in my life and took it hard on myself being a roughty, toughty ex serviceman. However, I grabbed my emergency duvet and where I usually sat I threw it down and crawled under and curled up, until I felt I wanted to move or had too!

Things will get better, do not look to getting back to your old self or wanting things back to normal because firstly, going back to what brought you here is not the way forward and what is normal?!!! Certainly not the natural way humans are supposed to be for one thing, we are not a resource and another why work for a system that profits when you don't?

Yes, things will get better, but we have to give it time all you can do, like myself and thousands of others (yes! Thousands!) did is just go with the flow and try to ride it out the best you can. With your GP, personal support and us!

Keep posting and reading, but don over think! You are not alone and in the right place - now GO grab that duvet!

Regards,

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.