5 days after TURP by TUEVP

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just had bipolar turp, now post op day 5. I waited too long too. By trusting my primary doctor, I wound up with A 100 g prostate and an invasive surgery. I was on both tamsulosin (flomax) and dutasteride (avodart). They helped a little but being as I am only 59 I did not want to take them for the next 20 years.  I selected a urologist and my work up showed that TURP was the best option for me at this time so, I elected for the surgery. Since I was at the point where I could not go 20 mins without urinating; in the sitting position to keep from wetting myself, I knew I was done.. so here's a few tips I have. Don't wait too long, Advocate for yourself if you need a referral to a qualified professional. Select a doctor and hospital that uses modern procedures and techniques.. The old ways are brutal and out of date. Next, prepare for your surgery. as best as you can. Quit smoking, lose weight, exercise, hydrate and rest too. The better shape you can get into, the better you will tolerate anesthesia (anesthesia can cause more problems than the surgery!). Read everything you can and educate yourself about your condition and the recovery process so you know what to expect.  Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for a second opinion if you are not comfortable. Once you determine you want the procedure, commit yourself to it and follow through, It's kind of like a bad tooth,  its just going to keep getting worse and worse and I know just how miserable this condition is. On a positive note, I had this done 5 days ago and so far its not too bad,! Not too much pain and my urination is getting better every day. The main problem is re-training my bladder not to push so hard. After surgery follow orders. Drink LOTS of water to keep yourself flushed out and rest,  you'll be tired. I have found I actually have less pain now than before surgery and Im not really getting up anymore than I used too..I know this much. the longer it takes for your problem to become a problem, the longer it will take to recover. From what I read the recovery is slow so be patient  You're symptoms may actually get worse before they get better but in the long run you should benefit and get some relief.  Best of luck

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dave, It's been over a week now. Any updates on your progress? I am at day 8 and feeling much better but cathater comes out tomorrow. I hear that freeks out the bladder.

• Posted

Okay, I had the cathater removed two days ago after 10 days of misery from that thing. It wasn't painful just uncomfortable and it takes some getting use to dragging a bag around on your leg all day. Now that it is out I am glad the DR kept it in so long, because it gave me time to heal without and issues.

The DR said that my prostate was "Really Big" way over the 100 gram mark and was protruding into the bladder. He worked on the upper part and one side for 1 1/2 hrs. He left the other side intact because he took enough out of the other to clear a large path for the urine. He said that the button TURP tool is only 4 Centimeters so that is a lot of going back and forth burning for a large prostate.

No pain when the catheter came out and he said see you in 3 months that everything was fine. That shocked me because I expected more doom and gloom.  On 3 days of antibiotics just in case.

I have mild after burn when I urinate not much just a feeling. When I pee which is about every 2- 3 hrs it is great. ( Dr says that will get better with time) Lots of flow but feels kinda weird with some tingling. Anywhere from 200 ML to 300 ML each pee. I get up at night 2 times to void without any issues. No real pain just weird feeling. Get that phantom sharp stick in the prostate area once in a while. 

Dr says no sex for a month and no heavy lifting like dead lifts, squats etc. I am an avid weightlifer so he said I can go right back to the gym, just to take it easy.

So as for me it seems to have worked so far, seeing I could not pee at all before the surgery.

Oh, by the way he feels that I will not have retro ejaculation because only one side was worked on.  We will wait and see on that one. No big deal if I have retro because all the drugs I took before stopped it anyway.  (Finesteride and doxysosin)

I am also no longer taking the Finesteride or Doxysosin.  Yeah!

I'll keep all advised as my progrees for those who are thinking about the Button Plasma TURP.

• Posted

David - Thank you for the update.  I am glad that you are doing well.

I am set up for bipolar TURP which is different than bipolar button TURP.  I was told that bipolar TURP would be best for my large 100g prostate.  How is it thet you decided on button TURP?  What are the relative advantage/disadvantages?  Thanks.  Mark

• Posted

The reason for the button TURP was there is less bleeding and it is an outpatient surgery. You go in and once your up and around they send you home with a catheter. I went in and had mine at 0730 and was out back home by noon. But all of them do the same thing and that's ream you out so the blockage is gone. Mine so far is doing good althouth I have over did it these last couple of days. I need to remember that recovery is 6 weeks not 12 days.

• Posted

They told me the same thing about bipolar TURP:  less bleeding and faster recovery than standard (monopolar) TURP.  I will ask about button TURP compared to bipolar TURP.

I have read a lot of posts by men who overdid it too soon after surgery and had relapses, including even hospitization with hematuria.  I recommend being patient and taking it easy for a few weeks.  I plan to stay in bed for about 2 weeks and then start short walks, see how it goes as far as bleeding.  After that, gradually ramping up to longer walks.  I was told not to lift more than 10 lbs for the first 2 weeks.  I was also told about 8 weeks to resume normal (unrestricted) activity, but again, will ramp up slowly.

Please keep updates coming.  Hope that you continue to do well.  Thanks.  Mark

• Posted

Hi, David,

Many thanks for your post “5 days after TURP by TUEVP”, Prostate Problem Group which appeared 9-05-2016. I underwent open heart surgery, triple bypass and aortic valve replacement. Different anatomical area but all part of the whole.

The surgery was successful but recovering from the long term (post-op 10 months) effects of the anesthesia has been challenging, to say the least. But there is so little published that I do think we should get the word out on this topic as much as is humanly possible. You have taken a big step in the right direction, and I am happy to second you on this.

Warm regards, and hoping for your speedy recovery!

Alan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.