5 days on Mirtazapine 15 mg. Still depressed. How long before it takes effect?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been in depression for quite a few years now with one adversity following other. Have been on Mirtazapine 15 mg for 5 days now. How long does it take to show benefits?

Resorted to meditation for healing self and keep myself going personally and financially. Now felt unable to carry on and felt like doing something drastic.

Went to the doctor last week to tryy out medication and was prescribed Mirtazapine 15 mg.

Slept well the 1st day but was restless the next. Hit the treadmill in the evenings from 3rd day for the fear of staying awake and the mind wandering. This helped me tire out and sleep, but feel totally down, frustrated, hopeless and angry during the day. 

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm having a bad reaction to this drug so coming off it. I uped my dose to 15mg as GP suggested on Wednesday, even though I explained a worrying change in my mood. Yesterday my legs came out in red/purple spots (rash) it's been worse today, they are itching & swollen now. Feeling a bit feverish too & getting a sore throat. Spoke to the pharmasist & he says to come off it. So that's 3 of the "STOP TAKING THIS DRUG" symptoms that I've had. Off to get some Puritan...
    • Posted

That sounds like an allergic reaction. I saw them listed under the speak to your doctor immediatly section. If the docs not available call nhs direct.
    • Posted

I was having a panic attack on Friday when I called the pharmasist.I envisioned myself becoming like Violet Beuxregarde in Charlie & the Chocolate factory.. He thought I was going into anaphylaxis! I took some antihistamines. I feel like my legs are starting to come back to me today. 
  • Posted

This is normal when starting mirtazapine at the low dose. Your body adjusts, it takes two to three weeks to get onto your system totally. Xxx
  • Posted

The rule of thumb for regular medication I'd 5 half lives until it reaches it's full level in you bloodstream. Mirtazapine has a half life of about 21 hours. So it takes a minimum of 5 days till it can even start to take effect. After that it will take another 1 to 2 weeks to start healing the neurone cells in your brain to any noticeable level. Bottom line is that you are not likely to feel any benefit at all for a minimum of two to three weeks and then you are unlikely to feel full benefit for a few months as your brain slowly repairs itself. One final word of caution, the majority of effective Mirtazapine prescriptions are at the 30mg or 45mg with a small number going up to 60mg
    • Posted

I am sorry but I was prescribed 30 mg and I reduced it to 15 after telling my GP's partner of its massive sedative effect on me. I have now been off it for 4 months (when I reported to my pdoc ithe difficutly in urinating that it seemes to cause).

I feel pretty good now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.