5 days out from vaginal total hysterectomy and bladder repair

Posted , 2 users are following.

5 days ago I had total vaginal hysterectomy, Anterior and posterior Repair and  Transobturator taping. My questions are, is it normal to not have a bowel movement yet, taking stool softener every morning, are there specific exercises/stretches to do to avoid stiffness and soreness of back? Why can't I drive for 2 weeks ? I have only taken Motrin for pain since day 3.  I appreciate any feedback from your own experiences.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The bowel opening question really rests on whether you've eaten much. If you're eating normally, then this is now too long. Are you drinking heaps as you need to too. Ring your Surgeons Nurse or Secretary. The most commonest rule re. driving is SIX weeks no driving. Most insurance companies won't cover you under 6wks. This stand down time is purely because you won't be able to perform an emergency stop adequately due to the surgery. You need to go to the South Tees link in this site and read the great post-op advice. 

• Posted

Thankyou robyn94818,  I have been eating, probably not drinking enough though, going to link now that u recommended🙂

• Posted

Incorrect, normally it takes 4-6 days after surgery to have bm. I took 6 days exactly 
    • Posted

7 days with no bowel movement, I'm miserable, cramping, bloating, hip and horrible back pain, it hurts to sit, stand and walk, I think I'm impacted because it's right there at the exit, but won't budge, it's not dry, liquid droplets of poo  do dribble  occasionally. I have been taking stool softener, miralax, lots of water, eating fruits, this is worse than the surgery, help!

• Posted

7 days with no bowel movement, I'm miserable, cramping, bloating, hip and horrible back pain, it hurts to sit, stand and walk, I think I'm impacted because it's right there at the exit, but won't budge, it's not dry, liquid droplets of poo  do dribble  occasionally. I have been taking stool softener, miralax, lots of water, eating fruits, this is worse than the surgery, help!

• Posted

Have you rung your Drs office like I suggested to 24hrs ago. Bowels need to open between 4-5 days when you are eating normally. I'm a Registered Nurse & know what I'm talking about!! I WAS NOT incorrect as some other person posted after my previous comment. The colon slips down into the space the uterus was and once it is filling with Poo then it is putting pressure on your surgical area and hurts, exactly like you've now got. It's best post-op to have a light diet until 1st BM so that you don't get into your current situation, you poor girl. Maybe a glycerine suppository will get you started passing Poo & hopefully all will then slip out. A microlax enema can be quite vicious in some people. But truly you need to contact your Surgeons rooms to find out what they want you to do next. Trouble with sites like this, I asked you the right questions to then be able to give good advice, and some clown types "incorrect" after it!! Which then maybe put you off making the phone call for advice that I suggested! You poor girl. I'm leaving this site now as conflicting posts from people with possibly NO medical knowledge think they know it all and prevent people needing help, seeking it from right channels once getting towards dire state. Hope you've now got the relief you need and get better soon. I refuse to be demeaned by that Steph over everything when SHE is misinformed. Time will tell! Best scenario is to have properly opened your bowels between day 4 & 5 when you've been eating normally. So by day 5 & nothing, then you needed medical advice. Now it's day 7 & you seriously need medical help. You probably read her "incorrect" statement, & thought oh well, she said 6 days, so I'll wait another day, making it now 7 days and you are now impacted and over flowing. But it's ok, you just need further help to have that BM. Please seek it NOW.

I'm over and out. I refuse to see wrong conflicting advice when I know what I'm talking about after many many years experience. Probably the reason Matron left here too, which she did for extended times during her very useful reign on here, for this very same reason. We all learnt such a lot from her. Some posting on here still will well remember how she was also slam dunked by idiots. Bye and hope you've now had the relief you desperately need and can get better real soon & get comfortable. 

• Posted

Lmao I have plenty of medical knowledge. Butthurt much? Buy bye

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.