5 days Post ankle fusion pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had an open ankle fusion 5 days ago, after the nerve block wore off (after 48 hrs) there was very little pain until tonight. Its like a 30 second pulse of agony in the joint every 30 minutes or so, then not much. The oramorph 5ml lets me fall asleep for an hour before the pain hits again. Am going to OD if I keep taking it though! Is this to be expected?? Is the pain a good or bad sign of successful fusion? Have ankle elevated but doesnt seem to help. Anyone else having this pain?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

whats your total amount of oromorph you can in 24hrs. yes, you can od on it. They should have told you how often you can take it (every 4 hours for example.... definitely not every 30 mins!!). And how many mgs. Say 30mgs. If you don't have this info, PLEASE ask your dr. I don't know about the pain but I've ankle surgeries and I've had bouts of pain like that.

Melissa

• Posted

Sorry, I think you ssid you take the oramorph every hr? It's usually every 4. But please check with dr if not sure. It may be different. There should be directions on the patient label on the bottle.

• Posted

Thanks for replies.

Sorry, I was a bit addled in pain / morphine. I'm not (currently!) ODing on the oramorph. Am sticking to the max per 24hrs.

Its the vice like pain and consequences of it I was asking about really. (Head a bit clearer this morning!)

Thanks

• Posted

You can always call your PhmD and get info.

Sorry for your pain!

• Posted

Hi Cant be of help but am having a talonavicular fusion in a few weeks time and want to get a realistic hand on post op recovery and possible symptoms. Can I ask which bones you had fused by who and where.?

• Posted

Tibia fused to talus due to Arthritis. First five days very little pain easily sorted with paracetamol. But last night the vice like pains were horrendous and needed morphine. This morning all calm again just a background ache. (Prob still have morphine wandering about in body!). If it stays like this its a walk in the park (after a few months lol) - but no idea what last night was about, hence the questions. Everyone is different but I'm hoping 'no pain, no gain' works!

I'm in North London.

• Posted

sorty to hear you are experiencing this

i was lucky and after nerve block wore off i had no pain i had shooting sensation occasionally but they told me those are the nerves

they gave me oxycontin for pain but i didnt use it i found ADVIL 600 mg/plus tylenol was all i needed

i started having pain once i started walking in the boot

im 9 weeks post op and in Pt and it does seem to be helping

the last 2 days ankle still sore but i can put weight on it

• Posted

Well, end of day and no pain during the day - until I start falling asleep, then THUMP it hits again and wakes me, then its gone till i start falling asleep again. Leg in same position, nothings changed....

Anyone else? or ideas?

Thanks

• Posted

hi kieth

i had the same op 18 momths ago and i do feel for you

yes the pain is unbearable

elevation is good but put the ice pack on it makes a big difference as it takes the swelling down also ibuberfen

but check with ur doc woth pills

good luck pal

• Posted

Thanks Lee,

Guess I just have to put up with it and lack of sleep for now.

just took paracetamol as a primer before i try to sleep some more....

• Posted

Hmmm. Arnica tablets as well as the Arnica gel have helped to alleviate some of my pain. Also have found horse liniment to be a God send!

Add ice and elevation (above heart)... do this often day & night.

Ouch.

• Posted

thanks dianne. will try arnica. leg on two pillows last night - not comfortable but it helped with pain which is now calming down and during the day is easily manageable.

• Posted

10 days after op. No pain whatsoever. Fingers crossed....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.