5 days post Botox/Hemorrhodtecomy (PPH)

Posted , 2 users are following.

After finding and reading through this board, I feel like I have been quite fortunate so far. As I am day 5 right now post OP and my pain is mostly gone except during BM. I am assuming this is due to the fact my surgeon performed the PPH procedure (stapled) instead of the standard Hemorrhodtecomy. I had been managing my internal hemorrhoids for almost 20 years, but I started having non-stop symptoms for the last 3 months which pushed me to discover had a fissure as well. My surgeon recommended doing the botox injection to calm the muscles and help the fissure heal, but said once he put me under that he may do the PPH procedure if it "made sense". Of course I woke up in pretty bad pain and realized that he had removed my 2 internal ones, assuming that I would to deal with this all at once. I have many of the same symptoms albeit much less pain then those who post here. I have mostly returned to normal bowel movements and somewhat normal diet, with extra fiber.

That being said I noticed starting about day 2 that I was getting some fecal leakage, and started wearing the liners in my undergarments as suggested by another post. While I am still only at day 5, my bowel control does seem pretty weak. Basically will lose control if I cough or sneeze and have some leakage. Also once I have any urgency to go, I have very little time to make it to the bathroom. I am wondering if this is normal in the part of recovery? Or am I facing the consequences of having the two procedures at once and maybe I am waiting the 3-5 months for the botox to wear off.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

G'day John,

Being at day 5, some leakage is to be expected, its a bit un-nerving but pretty normal. The same goes for no warning trips to the toilet, things should settle down by week 2.

If it continues past the second week, I'd be contacting your surgeon just to be on the safe side.

• Edited

Ian thank you so much for replying, means a lot knowing it comes from people who know the experience.

Also read some of your previous posts. How are things going, hopefully making some progress to a real recovery?

• Posted

4 months now and still not healed.

Has another colonoscopy last week to try and find the problem and still waiting on the biopsy results, frustrating and painful.

Hopefully your's will be straightforward and fully healed by week 4.

All the best.

• Posted

Just an update for anyone else that might have similar issues. I am about at Day 9 and large improvement in pain starting around day 8. I am guessing once again that this mostly due to the PPH procedure vs the standard. I had a BM that produced quite a bit of blood on day 7, perhaps the staple has been passed, guessing I wont know until my post op follow up appointment. The fecal leakage has mostly stopped now, but the urgency is still a big issue. I can hold it, but not long. I have discontinued all of the laxatives but still taking metamucil twice a day, I might try to cut back a bit on the fiber. As last few days I have had 3 BMs each day. Solid in the morning and more loose with each one. By the third bowel movement it is very loose and my time to get to the bathroom is very short, basically can't make it.

Another symptom that seems to be getting better is the fullness feeling. Whenever I stand after sending it felt like I had to go, even when I did not have to. However, it would continue to feel like that until I sat down. However, that sensation seems to be lessening as I heal. I am guessing maybe due to the swelling starting to go down? No clue on that one.

Hopefully this helps anyone else.

• Edited

sound good. I reduced and cut back on the Benefiber over about 5 days and it seamed to solve the toilet urgency and number of trips.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.