5 days post op for partial knee replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi it's day 5 I'm home and in a fair bit of discomfort! Main problem is at night and knowing what sleeping  position to get into? I want to lie on my side but not sure this is ok ( about the only question I didn't ask physiotherapist ) also finding I'm very tearful today and extremely tired is this normal? 

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Mandy,  yes it's normal to be tearful. I find drinking large glasses of water helps.  I know it sounds daft but it works on so many levels.   The drugs we take absorb the fluid in our muscles which in turn makes them painful.  Drink lots and lots of water.   Sleep on your side with a pillow full length between you legs.  Good luck.   Sue S.
    • Posted

Thanks Sue I'm averaging about 3 1/2 hrs sleep a night and I'm sure that's had a huge contribution to the way I'm feeling? 

I'm not feeling quite so emotional today but I'm not feeling very energetic either!!! So so tired 

• Posted

Oh mandy. Been there done that.

I had TKR 3 years ago.It was successful and well worth it. Had a lot of trouble sleeping for quite a while afterwards. Even now I still wake up nearly every night which I hardly ever did before. Though atleast I do not wake up in pain anymore

Organise your painkillers so you can still take one or two if you wake up in the night.

I used to sleep on my back at first with a pillow underneath the knee I had had replaced.

Ask physio about sleeping on your side, but I would say you would be able to get back to doing that again comfortably in time.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hi Sarah I've just managed to have a bit of sleep catch up and feel a little better! I can't believe the amount of bruising that is now coming out behind the knee and down the front of my leg! Also I'm finding these flaming support stockings a massive hinderence!!

should be interesting later as I'm going to shower which means removing said stockings then try and get them back on after!!!

love Mandy xxx

• Posted

I slept in my cpm machine which kept me elevated and moving, I was miserable but that helped a lot cause I stayed strapped in. Its hard to get comfortable but you don't wanna hurt yourself anymore! I'm currently selling my machine it was a great deal in my recovery

• Posted

I had one in hospital and must admit it was a godsend! Getting comfortable is proving to be a harder struggle as time goes on mainly as I also suffer with sciatica in the same leg I've had the op on!!! 
  • Posted

it all sounds very familiar, I have managed to sleep on my side by placing a small cushion between my knees,best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.