5 Days Post Op.. May have messed up!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a thread going titled "Surgery May 1st" and had lots of great responses but it won't let me add 😦. Hopefully you all will reach out on this one.

Anyways things were going pretty good and I was gonna reach out 1 week post op but did something over night I need advice with.

I was sleeping when I was woke up from my cat on the back of the couch getting ready to get sick. Without thinking I reached over and pushed his 20lb butt on the floor. I had instant white hot pain. I don't know if I twisted on my bad shoulder or used that arm to push him off... Either way I'm hurting.

Do you think I should call the Dr Monday morning or just wait till I see him Wednesday? Has anyone messed up their shoulder during recovery and if so how and what?

Thank you for reading.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I did similar things during my recovery.  Advice to you (1) stay calm (2) ice the area that is searing (3) use your meds (4) just rest (5) ring the doctor or doctor's nurse on Monday if it's still searing.  PS your kitty was only trying to be close to you and keep an eye on you... OKAY, deep exhalation... you will be fine... Good luck and post again...

• Posted

I had a couple instances where I thought I had messed up doing almost nothing. 5 days post I was just sitting on my couch, was readjusting my sling which was very uncomfortable, and I rolled my shoulder forward. I heard a loud pop and had searing nerve pain and pain in my bicep. It felt like a row of fire ants was traveling down my arm. I put cold on it and called the Dr in the morning (fortunately it was his day in clinic). I went to see him and he said everything looks ok and I probably tore some scar tissue around the nerve.

Then at 6 weeks, the day I took the sling off, I absentmindedly reached behind myself to adjust my pants and got the worse sharp and searing pain, again in my biceps...which also went into spasm.. Everytime I tried to move, my biceps were painfully spasming. I called the Dr (it was his surgery day, left a message...but the staff didn't seem to know he was away on a conference till Monday). I even called a PT friend, who didn't answer my text. My PT e mailed me the next day and said he didn't think I could do anything  bad to it at that point and he would see me monday. So the next 3 days I used ice and babied shoulder and was back in the sling. It took 5 days for the spasming and nerve pain to calm down (which was the day I saw the Dr) and he said everything looked fine. 

You have scar tissue surrounding nerves that could have tugged on the nerve tissue. Everything is in such a tender state just 5 days after. moving slowly is painful, so fast moves are more painful. I was told by the Dr that as long as you are wearing your immobilizer, there is nothing you can do that will damage the surgery. So if you went to swat the cat with either arm and the operated arm was properly in the immobilizer but the arm didn't move away from your body, the muscles still contract suddendly...but the arm does not actually move...you are probably ok. It never hurts to call the Dr's office and ask them if they think you should come in.  I would probably call Monday and in the meantime use a lot of cold, keep the immobilizer nice and snug, and just be very mindful of how you move. I know, with a cat, not always easy. I have one who was curious of that big black other thing sitting on my arm and lap and he kept trying to get close and wanting to sleep on or near my shoulder and arm. I couldn't pick him up for weeks and I know how I react when my cat is about to barf somewhere other than the hard floor.

Let us know how things have gone after you talk to or see the Dr. I am betting you will be find and it will be just a little bump in the road toward recovery. Have a nice Sunday, Monday is coming soon smile

• Posted

Keep in mind, you just had surgery and now used that arm with some "real" movement. OUCH! The other replies on hear sound spot on. BEST OF LUCK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.