5 days post op tkr

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 5 days since surgery and think I am doing really well however my knee and thigh are so swollen black and blue and so tight it is now affecting the bend I have.

Is this ok as I am icing all the time but does not seem to be making much difference

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Par for the course I'm afraid Bozzy, it's not as easy as the surgeons make out is it?

Keep on icing & elevating. You'll get there.

Don't forget to exercise though, it's tough at 1st, but keep on trying. Little by little you'll find the exercises getting easier & bending more.

You're in this for the long haul I'm sorry to say.

Good luck on your rehab.

Keep us posted how you're getting on.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Bozzy, this is absolutely normal.  When I was doing the heel slides at that point and I felt the muscle was so bruised that it wouldn't work properly I actually helped pull the thigh up with my hands for a couple of days and then suddeny it got easier.  The icing does work.  I'm two weeks post op today and am noticing that while the bruising has gone a lot (not all yet - it's still purple in places on the inner thigh) the thigh muscles have that slightly bruised feeling.  It also feels as though there is a tight dressing round the knee, when there isn't, but it's just swelling, despite icing.  I found it HUGELY easier when staples came out for bending too - I was actually getting bleeding from the holes from the staples as I was bending, so you'll find that makes a difference.  Even the dressing coming off made it easier to bend!  You're doing well!

• Posted

Thank you for your comments everything you have said is what I am experiencing reassured me so much
  • Posted

You  are doing fine.  I had TKR is November 2016 and was black and blue from my knee to my foot.  It takes a while for the swelling to subside.  I still have some on the outside of my knee.  I had a passive continuous motion machine that I was prescribed to bend my knee for me.  It takes time and everyone is different.  Don't get discouraged.

• Posted

At 5 days you are just beginning this long journey. Don't worry about the swelling, it will go down. Do what the therapists say, stay ahead of the pain, and hang in there. I am 9 weeks post TKR, sleepless nights and a bit of emotional ups and downs. This support group can be your best therapy at times. Cheers

• Posted

Thanks ken very good to hear that as I have already been very emotional good support

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.