5 days post prolapse surgery - reassurance needed please

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. I'm new to this site & not too sure how it works! I had anterior & posterior prolapse repair  plus vault repair 5 days ago & am feeling very low & anxious. Yesterday I was so concerned about no bowel movement since the op that although I was taking Lactulose twice daily, I also took a sachet of Movicol.  The result was the most horrific bowel movement which involved a huge amount of straining - the one thing I'd been told not to do!! I'm now so frightened that I may have torn myself or the stitches. Does anyone know what the symptoms of that would be.  I'm extremely sore  & I think it's caused a haemmeroid. This whole experience is the worst I've ever known. Though I had hysterectomy 25 years ago this is by far the worse. I had the most horrendous coccyx pain when I came round from the op - I was not prepared for that. So sorry to be such a wimp! Any help or advice would be much appreciated thanks.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi... sorry to hear how anxious you are. I was you 13 weeks ago and I honestly thought I was going to die. I had terrible buttock pain and sciatica from a sacrospinious fixation , which is similar to vault surgery. I also had the two repairs you mentioned. It was a scary time and I didn't think I'd get through it. Passing stool the first 2 weeks was beyond pain. It is vitally important that you take movicol. I took 2 sachets a day , some days 3, and I'm still on one a day. I couldn't sit on the toilet for more than 50 seconds without wanting to pass out. Eventually I got some Naproxen for the pain but my best friend became my hot water bottle, which really relaxed me. I was actually ok lying down , I just couldn't stand up. If you read the posts on here you will see how terrible everyone found this surgery. Nothing prepares you for it. You just have to be a patient patient as things get better. For me it took 4 weeks for terrible pain to go. I got really depressed and wished away the days. You are not alone in how you feel. Definitely take that Movicol... it will flow out of you like water but that's better than the alternative and you mustn't push and strain. 

I hope things soon improve for you. ??

• Posted

Hi Carolmaria! I'm 8 weeks post op and am on day 3 of no pain. I wasn't told how horrible this was going to be but I think it's because some women are lucky enough to breeze through it. It's super scary, painful, depressing, and I can't tell you how often I have been convinced this has failed or I have ruined it somehow but reading other women's posts it seems this is completely normal. Please rest, when you feel better remember you truly aren't and don't do too much. Seems silly but changing the sheets was "too much" in my case and put me back in bed for 3 days. Let people take care of you and follow the advice you were given earlier, " be a patient patient."

The heating pad is my best friend and kegels really help with the pelvic floor spasms. They seemed to calm them down when they where really bad. You are in the worst of it, it slowly gets better I promise.

• Posted

Thank you both so much for your replies. It made me cry to think people out there are kind enough to say comforting words to a stranger. I really feel very emotional & tearful at the moment & have wished so many times in the last 5 days that I hadn't had this op done, I should've just put up with the discomfort of the prolapses. This current pain is so much worse. My surgeon really didn't prepare me well - I feel to the professionals it's all in a days work. Plus of course he's a man so can have no idea how we feel or suffer. The hospital gave me the text book version of recovery, this forum is giving me the reality! I'll try & do as you both suggest & be more patient - hard as it is. Thank you again.

• Posted

Thank God for this forum, I don't think I would have survived without it. When you get better you will be replying to someone. That's why it's here so we can help each other through it. The doctors certainly don't understand, mine didn't, he seemed irritated and put off by my constant questions and concerns. This site is a life saver.

• Posted

Hi

Its amazing how something that we have taking for granted for so long can take over every waking moment isn't it? Who knew that the art of going to the toilet could be lost?

You've had major surgery, so be kind to yourself, rest as much as possible, and follow the advice of the other lovely ladies on here.

Wishing you a straightforward recovery and comfortable bowel movements! Xxx

• Posted

You are so right Julib16 - I never thought the main topic of our conversation after 44 years of marriage would be my bowel movements!! Hey-ho-in sickness & in health.....! Thank God the Lactulose is helping so I'm not as bad as some poor ladies on this site who haven't been for weeks. I certainly don't want a repetition of Thursday's episode - it was worse than giving birth!! I'm absolutely terrified of leaving the house. Can you or anyone else tell me please if I should be doing pelvic floor exercises yet? Nothing was said at the hospital or on the discharge literature I was given. I don't want to delay healing but also don't want to make the pain any worse.  Thank you all so much for your advice , support & good wishes, I feel much less alone now. This really is a horrible experience & the comfort of knowing there are others who care & understand is invaluable.xx

• Posted

Hi

It seems that advice re pelvic floor exercises differs from country to country, or even doctor to doctor! My doctor told me to wait at least 6 weeks. Of course, I panicked and I tried earlier and boy did it hurt the next day! At about 8-10 weeks I took myself to a pelvic floor physio cos I was still experiencing pain with them. She helped to unjam my poor spasming pelvic floor and I highly recommend checking in with one when the time comes. Xx

• Posted

Hi.

I've not had any advice about pelvic floor exercises post op. I did go to classes a year ago on how to do them but that was all about pre-surgery - post surgery was never mentioned & stupidly it never occurred to me at the time to ask! I have been doing them in the 12 months I've waited for surgery ( wasn't expecting to wait this long!) so hope they've helped. Right now I don't think I could even attempt them, the pain is too great. Thanks for your advice.xx

• Posted

This made me cry just thinking about it as it sounded just how I was in December-you are right nothing prepares you for this awful operation. I had been through hysterectomy and adhesions ops before but this one is horrible-but reading this I realised that I must have improved a lot as although I still get exhausted and have a few problems with bowels and bladder most of the time I feel a lot better than I did so keep being patient and let other people do as much as they can for you as it will help in the recovery process. After I had an awful situation with trying to pass that first bowel movement I also gave myself a haemorrhoid (can't spell that!) and the doctor prescribed Laxido to soften the stools which made a vast improvement. If you can get some that would really help. The stuff that the hospital gave me didn't do a thing! Drink loads of water-I found it helped to drink cooled boiled water as this also helps with wind. I feel for you and hope it all settles down. If your bladder starts to play up my doctor gave me some hormone cream to rub down below as he said the skin gets dry and makes you more likely to get infections and this helped too. Good luck 

• Posted

Thank you so much Angela for your kind reassuring words. It does help so much to know that others understand - the medics certainly don't seem to!! I thought I was going to die trying to open my bowels on Thursday & I'm really worried that I may have done some damage as I couldn't help straining badly in the end. I had taken Lactulose since the op on Sunday, but Thursday in desperation I took Lacido as well. (I already had it in the cupboard but thanks for advice). At least it did the trick so am back to Lactulose twice a day at the moment as I find the Lacido rather harsh. I'm so pleased you are feeling better at long last & sincerely hope it stays that way for you. I'm so glad I found this forum-it really is helping.  Good luck to you too. xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.