5 different doctors, 5 different opinions...What would you do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

After extreme pain in my upper right back, on July 5, I was diagnosed with a blood clot in my right lung. Doctor #1 told me in the emergency room there was damage in my lower right lung. I was prescribed Xarelto and to follow-up with my family doctor. When asked about my activity level since I was having problems breathing, my family doctor #2 said to take the first week easy and push through during the second week. 2 weeks later I had extreme pressure in my chest with breathing problems so I went back to the emergency room Doctor #3 ordered another CT scan and I was told the blood clot was dissolving, but it looked like I had pneumonia in the lower part of my lung. They admitted me so more tests could be ran. My echo came back normal, but the arterial blood gas test showed oxygen was not normal in my blood. Doctor #4, who ordered these tests, told me that the original blood clot was quite large and my right lung suffered considerable damage revealing dead tissue. Doctor #5, the pulmonologist, who I saw yesterday, reviewed the report and said everything looked fine and she could not understand why I have been having breathing problems! She did, however, order another CT scan to be done at the end of September.  WHAT WOULD YOU DO???

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi embono,

I have lost faith in doctors this year after hubby had heart attack, I have had hip replaced and had blood clot in the lung. All doctors have different opinions, you need to educate yourself I am afraid.

I was diagnosed with a clot(s) in the lung at the begining of june, my GP said being active is very important. As my lung was damaged it apparently takes time for this to recover, I still get out of breath and like most people get scared in case the clot is still there or returning. I am booked in for an echogram on the 20th of this month.

Personally, I am walking, exercising and take loads of natural anticoagulants and praying my lung recovers. All doctors can offer are dangerous tablets that can make you ill and possibly bleed.

• Posted

Don't try to 'push through' anything. Take it easy and take your time. You will need time to heal. I'm a year and a half out and just starting to feel half way better and normal again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.