5-HTP.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anybody had any experience with this tablet? I've just bought it for sleep but ive done a bit of googling and it says it's good for depression eat.I just want people's opinion on it before I try it,lol.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry,meant to say ect not eat,autocorrect.
  • Posted

I have no expiriance with that tablet but can i kindly say dont take chances and see your doctor before popping that may be good for depression else you may have another problem on your hands.                                                                                                                                             
  • Posted

Well 5-HTP seems to be a form of tryptophan (5-hydroxytryptophan) which is connected to the neurotransmitter serotonin.

I have been taking Trypthophan as a RX medication for a while and my doctor advised the following: 

Trypthophan taken in the morning works together with bright light and converts into serotonin which can help with depression. I was advised to use it with 30 min in front of a mood lamp (SAD lamp).

Trypthophan taken at night works in the brain and develops a hormone that lets you sleep better. BUT for that your bedroom MUST be completely dark. I had to wear a sleep mask for the Trypthophan to work properly.

So.... yes you can use it for sleep. It might help your depression (if you are diagnosed) but I would consult your doctor first if you are taking other meds. There is something like an "overdose" of serotonin which can develop into serotonin syndrome and that can be life threatening.

• Posted

Hi

If your on medication please consult

A Dr or health professional before deciding

On using 5htp

It can be used for anxiety , sleep , depression , migraines , pms etc

It works in the brain & Central nervous system by increasing the production

Of the chemical serotonin

I've tried it myself and did notice an improvement I took 100 mg split in two

Doses 50 mg in the morning on an empty

Stomach & 50 mg at night to aid sleep

My sleep did improve after roughly 1-2 weeks . Just like medication it takes time to work . It also depends tolerance and how you react to it

• Posted

Thankfully im not on anything else,but did you notice any effects from taking it on your first tablet? The reason I ask is when I did try sertraline,i did feel it taking effect within a few hours with the first and only one I took,though i know that can take 4 weeks to start to work.
    • Posted

for me it actually took a while to work and then the serotonine kept me up at night so I stopped using Tryphtophan. 

I am actually on Sertraline right now and I do think it's working pretty well for me. In addition to Wellbutrin and Remeron... 

• Posted

5htp is the precursor to serotonin. The body converts tryptophan to 5htp which then converts to serotonin. The body regulates how much tryptophan is converted but does not regulate how much 5htp is converted.

The real question is how much gets converted in the brain. Most 5htp gets converted to serotonin in the body before reaching the brain so very little gets to where you want it. This is the reason Parkinson sufferers take a decarbolise inhibitor with l-dopa, others wise the l-dopa gets converted to dopamine before it gets to the brain. Neither dopamine or serotonin cross the blood brain barriers.

Also if you are taking any antidepressants or st John's wort taking 5htp can be dangerous as you risk serotonin syndrome caused by to much serotonin.

• Posted

Yes I have tried it, and the tablets are still in my cupboard.  There is a lot of informstion on it on the internet, and I think you have to find out for yourself if it works for you.  I found it made me feel rather strange, like when you first start out on anti depressants. 

I tried it in the day and at night.  Did not help me sleep thoug, and I though I was better off without it.  I tried St John's Wort too when I stopped anti depressants, but that did not have any effect on my depression.  Now I just take supplements. 

I would say to you try it.  Don't if you are already on anti depressants though. 

See how you go.  Let us know if it helps you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.