5-HTP

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI brought some 5-HTP any one used these and what do u think? thanks in advance. julie

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello,  I have no personal axe to grind on this,  but this is the WebMed comment:

5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is a chemical by-product of the protein building block L-tryptophan. It is also produced commercially from the seeds of an African plant (Griffonia simplicifolia).

Don’t use 5-HTP until more is known. 5-HTP might be UNSAFE. Some people who have taken it have come down with eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS), a serious condition involving extreme muscle tenderness (myalgia) and blood abnormalities (eosinophilia). Some people think the EMS might be caused by an accidental ingredient (contaminant) in some 5-HTP products. But there is not enough scientific evidence to know if EMS is caused by 5-HTP, a contaminant, or some other factor. Until more is known, avoid taking 5-HTP.

5-HTP is used for sleep disorders, depressionanxietymigraine and tension-typeheadaches, fibromyalgia, binge eating associated with obesity, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and along with prescription drugs to treat seizuredisorder and Parkinson's disease.

On that basis I suggest you flush it down the loo.  Sorry.

• Posted

thanks zarathustra. omg just brought them. im on a low dose of sertraline and thought 5-HTP  would help more and help me to sleep better x
  • Posted

If you have sleep problems,  may I suggest melatonin?  I used 10 mg capsules,  then dropped back to 3 mg.  Got them from LEF(Life Extension Foundation) on line in US;  10 mg cost $US28 for 60,  3mg $US8 for 60.  I had no problems importing into Australia,  you may be OK,  depends on where you are.  Suggest you begin with 3 mg capsuiles,  you can double or triple up to get the effect you need,  but try to wean yourself back to 3 mg quickly.  Melatonion really works well to get the circadian rhythm reset.  Best of luck.
  • Posted

I don't know,  but expect that you can.  Ask the members.  Do a google on availability in UK.

I have no problems here in Australia,  I order them on line,  pay for them and get delivery about 10 days later.

Have a look at Amazon in UK,  they could be a source.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Julie,  I have a problem with this 5-HTP/Melatonin business;  going deeper into it I find a lot of conflicting advice from "professionals" and support sites like WebMed and the like.  I feel that you have to get into this yourself,  rather than rely on what I quickly obtained as "reliable?" information.  When there is conflicting advice from what should be reliable sources,  you need to tread warily.  For this reason,  I WITHDRAW MY ADVICE on 5-HTP and MELATONIN.  Talk to your medfical adviser after making your own enquiries;  do not go ahead dosing until you have medical advice for you.  Sorry about this,  but I owe you due dilagence.
  • Posted

what prompted you to seek this med?

is it sleeplessness? there are some lovely gentle herbal relaxants which aid sleep...plus going to bed early...avoiding your laptop(!) and switching off all electrical devices...darkening your bedroom...exercising first thing in the morning ...i mention as am trying thse things myself so can we be a mutual support group?!!

• Posted

i am tapering off zopiclone so thought these would help but heard you shouldnt mix sertraline with them.. of course we can!
    • Posted

thanks julie....

although i'm a trained nurse i'm not very keen on drugs...is your history up somewhere in more detail that at start? I'm an LS sufferer ....well am getting to grips with it....you've had depression but are coming out of it...is that right?

• Posted

hey i should have said i'm psychic...(!)...but no !! I checked out your profile. anyway you're coming out of it...thats great how are you feeling now and what are you looking for?
    • Posted

sorry i just  was taken by surprise! im feeling more possitive i had hit rock bottom 7 weeks ago and thought enoughts enought, feeling much more motivated and admitted to my self i suffer with anxiety but its not surprising with what i went through , been very hard and know i want the support to look into my thinking matterns that were my feelings from childhood, i now dont listen them feelings and am doing for once something for me and getting the support., looking after my self more . im looking to get my self asteem better! and would love to help support people who have been abuse!
    • Posted

thats a really great aspiration julie...you could be of great help to others....theres so much of it out there... the time has come to address this plague...!! woman power's the best medecine. so tell me what have you found that helps with sleep? but lets agree to discuss this tomorrow ..since its late in the uk and so we should set each other a good example and get to bed!! Night night x
    • Posted

thanks

and once again i'm off to bed...you ok?

see you tomo xxxxxxxxx

• Posted

hi marey thanks for your reply . im doing ok hun .. have to get some things done can we speak again ?  xx
    • Posted

yes of course....tell me what you've been up to when you fini. you obviously have a target...so go for it....speak later x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.