5 months after TKR can’t left leg

Posted , 5 users are following.

Wondering if there is anyone who has had the same experience?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like more of a muscle problem than a joint problem. Is it weakness or pain that's preventing the movement? Can't lift leg from the knee or the hip?

Get checked out. Blood tests, medication side effects (statins?), history, tendon inflammation, pain? Fever?

• Posted

Hello Jean.When I had my knee op. done 1 year ago, all the ladies in my ward had the same problem. we could not lift the operated knee up at all, it just did not respond. I asked my physio there what the problem was. He told me the muscle just above the knee on the thigh (don't know the correct name) was weak and not sending a message down the leg. He told me clench this muscle above the knee several time, and repeat again. It strengthened this muscle, and I lifted my leg with no problem about half an hour later and never had this trou ble since. Try it, and I hope you have the same luck.

• Posted

Thanks Janet. I do exercises for my quads both at home and i go to the gym 3 times weekly. ive just been to my surgeon and ive had to get a brace to keep my patella centered as it had moved to the side. even with the brace i cant lift my leg. The only place i can lift it is the bath and im not sure that its my quad muscles moving the leg. Sometimes i can get it out of the water but rarely. i have to wear the brace for 3 months. My surgical knee is twice the size of my other knee. it was that way before surgery. My surgeon suggested i may need more surgery. I was hoping to find someone with the same problem who had resolved it. i have a friend who is a PT and he is suggesting i get a second opinion. he says my progress is not normal.

• Posted

Hello Jean. I have just sent you a message and it has gone to Robert by mistake. If you can still find it that's OK, but if not I will resend it to you if you let me know. Regards Janet.

• Posted

I am just starting my 5th month. TKR left leg. It has been HELL since day one. I can lift my leg but it is very painful .I did PT, do my exercises at home, ice all the tine and still most of the time my knee hurts 6-8 , numbness down the entire side of the knee, skin so swollen it burns and feels like it is gonna rip. The "tourniquet effect" I call it. I have no pain pills. Dr. claims he can't give me anything after 90 days. Wednesday I am having another surgery, not legs. My understanding is I will be laying on my side on my left leg, my right leg will be on top of it for the first half of the surgery. Then for another hour here will be more poking around. I am so afraid when I wake up the pain in my knee will be back at square one. I will lose everything I have gained. So I will have the operational pain plus the knee pain. I am thinking the surgeon was extremely rough during my TKR. What other reason would it hurt so much and so long? I have the surgical notes, they say a bunch of nothing. Not what he really did. Like they were redacted.

At this point my biggest fear is of falling or something bumping it. I have to do the steps with both feet on the same step going down. Coming up is not a problem. This surgery has had the** worst effect **physically and emotionally of any I have ever had.I have heard 6 months will make a big difference, we will see. Sorry Jean you are going thru this.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your problems especially your pending surgery. I am not experiencing a lot of pain. Days im fine. Nights as i roll over i get pain in my knee cap area and that tends to wake me but i usually can go back to sleep. i had limited pain pills...none after the first month. Round the clock drugs only for two weeks. Then 30 oxy's for nights for the next month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.