5 months in, relapse?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted on here - mostly because my anxiety lessened hearing others going through the same struggle, so thank you for that.

I also saw a slight upswing in my symptoms and thought I’d turned a corner. The last two weeks though, the virus has put me squarely in my place and I feel like I’m in the worst Groundhog Day ever. Almost all of my original symptoms have come back - blurred vision, breathlessness, unexpected bouts of being overwhelmingly tired - along with horrible cold symptoms, sinus and ear pain, neck and jaw pain, congestion, GI upset, etc. 

This is first so unbelievably depressing. I can’t wrap my head around feeling this way again or the idea of when I’ll get better.

What’s even more frustrating is that I reached out to my primary care doc, and she said it sounds like I caught a virus, as mono doesn’t relapse. She literally said to me, “that’s not how mono works, it doesn’t go away and come back.” This is contrary to everything I’ve read online and heard from folks on this forum.

She wants me to come in for an office visit on Monday to be seen for a virus or possible sinus infection (!!!!!!) and all I can think is she either doesn’t get it and won’t be able to help with the mono, or I’m going to die of sepsis from having this mix of viral/sinus infections.  Either way, my odds aren’t feeling great and I just feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FRUSTRATED. Sooooooo very very frustrated. 

Also, as an aside, I bought this tea sampler pack - it had echinacea and some other “breath easy” etc type ones, and I’m too scared to drink them because of all the crazy warnings about people allergic to daisys or with liver problems. I know that sounds silly but I don’t trust my body to drink tea right now. Sigh. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The same thing happened to me, but after a while it went away and true recovery began.

I think doctors dont understand this virus at all. Good thing we have each other, this forum has helped more than the doctor ever could.

• Posted

Definitey Mono too, the forum has helped me too just been on it and getting to chat and exchange encouraging messages with good people like you. Hoping you and your family are doing better at the moment.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

Just hoping and praying my daughter turns the corner soon, Granddaughter is doing well, two down and one to go. 

How is your back? I hope you are feeling better.

• Posted

I was diagnosed back in August 2017 with mono while doctoring for gallbladder.    After my surgery I started picking up but mid December I spent a day making cookies with the family and pushed myself too far.   I never came back but the mono hit me hard again.   My Dr said it returned so at least Dr agrees that it can relapse.   For me it seems to come and go.   The second time around was worse.   Possibly because I was run down from the first time around or from the length of the visus.    If you aren't happy with your Dr you can always ask for a second opinion.    Hang in there.    

• Posted

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been struggling Patsy but thanks for sharing that your doctor agrees it can come and go. Really baffling to me that doctors don’t know much about this virus. Kind of makes me lose confidence in doctors all around!
  • Posted

Currently at Month 9 of Mono and having my 2nd relapse. At my 1st relapse (when I had hoped I just had Influenza) the doctor said the Mono was reactivating again. I started crying when she told me it was the Mono again.

Now, with this 2nd relapse, I came here from some reassurance. I was feeling pretty down as if I would never kick this awful virus. But, the forum really picked up my spirits. It is very reassuring.

I see you posted this two months ago. Are you feeling better now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.