5 months of severe pelvic and abdominal pain with no closer to diagnosis. What to do now?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there,

I've never posted anything like this before but I'm starting to feel at my wits end and was hoping to see if anyone is experiencing the same and can provide some help.

I went to the doctors beginning of February with a localised pain in my lower left abdomen and pain during sex. It quickly just went worse, the pain was so severe, especially when I walked, but it was always constant. I started to get my period all the time (I'm on the contraceptive pill so it was usually quite regular) and they are extremely heavy, having to change tampons and pads every 15-30 mins.

I had an ultra sound scan which showed a small cyst on my left ovary and thought this might be the problem. I got a follow up and woman doing the ultrasound told me she could see unusual fluid in my pelvis but no cyst on left ovary. When I properly got results back they found a tiny cyst on my right side (there's no pain at all in right side)

I was put on pain killers and was referred to gynaecologist 2 months ago.

Last week, I took new blood tests that showed I have became anaemic.

The pain has gotten so bad I had to quit my job because I was constantly being sick and defer from university.

I am now on 8 tablets of tramadol a day and practically bed bound because walking too much is unbearable and sometimes makes my chest hurt and I'm being told there is nothing else they can do for me.

I need to wait another 22 weeks for an appointment with gynaecology because my symptoms aren't severe enough and they suspect it's just a cyst.

Can a cyst cause this much pain and blood? Or can this be something else? Is anyone else experiencing the same and have any advice on how to force my gp to try and excelerate the process?

Sorry I know this is very long winded but I appreciate you reading. I am 20 years old and this is literally ruining my life and making me so depressed and frustrated. I'm met to be going back to university next month and I don't want to drop out and I also don't want to start getting addicted to pain killers. Any replies will be helpful!

Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've just noticed some atrocious spelling mistakes. Please ignore I'm tired and woozy haha smile

• Posted

You really shouldn't have to do it, but if you can possibly afford a private gyno appointment you will be seen quickly.

Did you have an internal ulrasound scan of your ovaries, and if so was it painful?

I did and it was excruciating, I had a fluid filled cyst, but also had a lot of adhesions.

You need to push your gp for an urgent appointment, or see another gp at your practise, and get it accross to them how much you are suffering. The nhs is in a bad place financial wise at the moment and doctors are trying to save money,but 22 weeks is totally out of order.

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Thanks for replying.

I can't afford private, especially now I'm not working but the doctors have asked me multiple times to go private.

No I only had trans abdominal ultrasound, did you get the internal one first?

If you don't mind me asking how was the pain with your cyst and how long did it go on for? I'm just not sure its the cyst that's caused me the pain all the time since the left one was gone on my second scan. Even if it is a cyst, my doctor said to me that 'it's only a cyst and nothing severe so we can't get you an urgent appointment'

How long did you have to wait for a proper diagnosis? I hope you are better now!

I've spoke with 3 different gp's at my practice and they've said they've asked to push me up the list but I'm unsure whether to believe them since it's 22 weeks my appointment.

• Posted

I went for a bladder scan on nhs, and they found the cyst, I didn't have any pain until the scan. Thay followed it up 3 months later and said it was a simple cyst, only had a lot of bloating at that point.

I had to have a prolapse repair and asked the gyno if he could remove the cyst whilst I was under, although the prolapse was done vaginally and the cyst laparoscopally. He found lots of adhesions and removed the ovary and tube at the same time, I just wondered if you have adhesions or if the cyst has come back at that side. Mine was wrapped around the ovary. You shouldn't have to wait so long in so much pain, I would be incluned to get admitted via a and e.

I am fine now after removal prolapse not so good.

I have medical insurance so didn't wait long. But just a consultation can push you up the nhs list as they usually do both nhs and private work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.