5 months off Mirtazapine and still going through w/d hell.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi!  I am now 5 months, one week of being totally off Mirtazapine and am still suffering from horrendous w/d symptoms:  chronic insomnia (no sleep most days and nights) for days if not weeks at a time, burning, tingling, numbness, vibrations throughout body and head, adrenaline surges, burning brain, dp./dr,, myoclonic jerks, and the list goes on.  I have had several very small windows in the past 3 weeks, but then it goes right back 2 being totally unbearable, debilitating and downright painful.  Over the past several years I also slow tapered off Gabapentin (off just over 2 years), Zoplicone (off just over 2 years), Seroquel (off 1 year) and now Remerom off 4 5 months.  Also over 25 years ago I was heavily addicted 2 all the benzodiazapines. for about 24 years. 

I am terrified that as this just seems 2 b getting worse instead of better, that I will never b recovered from this horrible illness.  I'm struggling very hard 2 get through this, however when the symptoms get this intense it's extremely hard 2 even concentrate let alone even imagine getting better.  Has anyone else suffered to the extent I have getting off this horrendous Mirtazapine and gotten better.  I would love 2 hear from you and how 2 managed 2 survive.  Please I need some hope and encouragement that I will get through this.  Thank you.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

sad to hear of your battles but perhaps you need a thorough check up as you seem to be in too bad a way to attribute it to Mirt Withdrawel as you have been off it 5 months. I would get a thorough check up-scans of everything, etc, blood tests, etc to see if you may have something else  causing these symptoms. Thinking of you as you battle on.Are you on another Anti depressant like Lexapro which has little side effects and I find to be very good.?

• Posted

Hi Alison46649!  From my understanding of Mirtazapine, it is a extremely hard drug 2 get off and 5 months is still quite early.  It's just that my symptoms seem 2 b getting worse instead of better and this has me terrified.  Getting off Mirtazapine is very similar 2 getting off a benzo as it has very similar w/d symptoms and depending on how much and how long I have been on it, it can take quite a while 2 get it out of my system.  I am just hoping that in a few more months I will b feeling better. 

• Posted

Hi Barbara,

I am about 51/2 weeks off mirt. The anxiety and insomnia are unrelenting. Plus, I put on a few pounds! The feeling of jumping out of my skin is getting old as well. But good news is we are OFF. There are many who are still stuck up and down on a taper. Please keep the faith, that is wear I am. I have a whole bottle of mirt right next to me that can fix how I feel...but I am not even going there. I tried to lessen my focus on my symptoms, and that seems to help a bit. I am also taking propanolol tablets to help with anxiety. I would rather have some Xanax, lol, but I dont take benzos. Just know how well you are doing, and focus on what is meaningful. This drug has taken alot of living away from us all. I will keep you in my prayers. Happy Thanksgiving. You got this.

• Edited

Hi Barbara.

I understand your pain and panic.  Please hold on.  I have been mirtazapine FREE for almost six months.  I went cold turkey in May.  It has been one of the hardest things I have ever experienced and the insomnia is/was the worst and exactly how you described.  Mirtazapine is a very difficult drug to withdraw from and you are correct when you say 5 months is still a very short time span.  Mirtazapine withdrawal does come in windows and waves and although this may be of little comfort to you now hold on to the fact that you have already experienced some windows.  That is important.  I have struggled and in month 4 Mirtazapine FREE I felt great.  I thought I had cracked this drug and was sleeping without any sleeping aids and generally feeling fine.  Then BANG!  Month 5 and it all went downhill.  I was back to being awake all night.  The anxiety returned, stomach churning all night, feeling nauseous and no appetite.  I was in a bad way.  I went to get some blood tests done.  I thought there was something else wrong; this still can't be mirtazapine withdrawal.  I'm not on any other antidepressant or medication either.  It is mirtazapine withdrawal.  All my blood tests came back fine.  In the last 2 weeks, things have got better again.  My sleep is returning without turning to sleeping pills, the anxiety has almost disappeared.  I put myself on a mindfulness course, and that is helping with this dreadful withdrawal.  I have also told myself that there are no quick fixes withdrawing from antidepressants.  They can take months or in some cases longer to leave your body.  They mess up your central nervous system.  I have given myself a year to feel properly better.  Many people stopping this drug have said the same.  Don't be hard on yourself.  5 months in and you will get there.  I know it feels like hell.  I'm there with you but I do feel better now.  Think about it like this; if you had to lose weight, mend a broken bone or give up smoking, five months is not a very long time to make these changes.  You would still be mending.  Hold on in there Barbara.  I'm doing the same. X

• Posted

Your reply is an inspiration to all of us who are having similar issues.  At least you are off it, well done.  Im afraid i never tolerated more than 7.5 and p.doc has said to stop.  Have tapered very slowly to 3.75 but feeling anxious and depressed and now nausea and ins have started up so i havent made the final jump.  All that is saving me, Nd not very well, is 5mg diazepam at night. Sometimes 2mg in day.  So i have two detoxes to go through.  I am beginning to wonder if the tummy troubles are actually something else as i had them a bit during this whole episode.  Do you think i should just get off the mirtaz then wait and address the diaz withdrawal slowly. I am not on any other anti dep but if i am no better i can see them trying to give me another. So scared of all this.
    • Posted

Hi Ann

First things first, take all steps very slowly and don't be hard on yourself.  If you need the diazepam then you need it.  I use Zopiclone as and when I cannot sleep.  I personally found coming off mirtazapine much worse than trying to go without Zopiclone.  Also remember Xmas can be a time of heightened emotions and expectations so if you are planning on tapering off mirtazapine perhaps wait until after Xmas.  It is also recommended that a taper of such a drug is no ore than 10 percent per month.

Like you I have had a lot of stomach problems but I feel mine were very much part of the mirtazapine withdrawal and mainly connected to the dreadful anxiety caused through relentless insomnia.

You seem to be going in the right direction but if you have to stick with the 3.75 dosage for longer than you thought, so be it.  Don't beat yourself up over that.  Many people on this evil drug take 12 months and longer when tapering

• Posted

you are doing what i am about to attempt. I am on 3.75 and about to get off.  I know there will be repercussions and see you are holding off very well. I also got off zopiclone three years ago by increasing the diazepam at night.  Seroquel i tried dor six months and it did nothing so dropped it ok. What i found interesting is that you did taper benzos some time ago Nd i will have to do that after i try to get off the mirtaz.  Are the two detoxes similar? I have a long path ahead, 3.75  then valium.  Thank goodness i didnt increase to 10mg or more as cpn advised for anxiety! 

Unfortunately i have nausea and ibs now as i lower. Dr gave me something for the nausea. I am ecen wondering if this physical element is a different disease or caused by the CNS trauma.

Any help on my coming down would be gratefully received, you have done so well getting to your stage.  I feel that i am losing my retirement years now to these drugs and the illness, and the drs who gavs them out in the first place.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.