5 months off Mirtazapine, still having abdoinal pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I am at a little over 5 months, with this being my third attempt, at getting off mirt. All three times, my major symptom has been abdominal spasms with severs cramping pain. The pain is epigastric, high in the abdomen just under the ribs. Each time that I had gone back on the mirt, the symptoms vanished. This time I had to get off the drug because of heart rhythm side effects. The pain gets a little better at times, but is always there. I was on the maximum 45 mg dose for 8 years before starting to try getting off the Remeron because of side effects. Am I the only one who has or is having this problem? Thanks for any replies!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

David I really feel for you. Abdominal cramps, especially if constant are just awful. However, I do believe you had these cramps before going on mirtazapine if I recall correctly. Mirtazapine is sometimes used to treat people with IBS. I don't get the cramps too often now I'm off the mirt, but I suffer from terrible nausea and find it almost impossible to eat until the afternoon. This is not due to WD from mirtazapine. It is just the way I am. No doubt there's a cause, but doctors put it all down to IBS. My personal opinion is that your condition is not due to mirt WD. The mirt simply helped your condition whilst you were on it, and now you don't have its help anymore. I have discovered I have hyperthyroidism. The mirtazapine completely covered up my symptoms whilst I was on it. Then I came off it and had anorexia, dramatic weight loss and high anxiety. But that was not mirtazapine WD; it was because I have hyperthyroidism. I am lucky in that a cause for my symptoms was found.

Where you describe your pain, can be any number of things; peptic ulcer, fluid around the heart or lungs, swollen liver or spleen, or nervous IBS. Many more conditions too. If I were you, I would not let doctors just put this down to WD or IBS; you need more tests, a chest xray would be a good starting point, and if possible a CT scan. I hope that you can get to the bottom of this.

• Posted

Also, have you been tested for Chrones disease? Could you be gluten or lactose intolerant?
    • Posted

Evergreen I had had 3 abdominal CT scans, 2 last June 22nd, one with contrast, one without, and another March 27th 2016 with contrast. I had copies of all of them sent to my GI doc at UNC. I have had bloodwork done each time, plus with my annual physical in January. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for June 23rd. When the cramps ease, and I either have a BM or pass air, it improves. I have been trying to get off mirt for two years. I have had several chest x-rays as well. I have hypothyroid and take 37.5 mg synthroid every morning. They even did a CT of the brain because of headaches. I no longer have them. I am now on Wellbutrin, but I don't know for how much longer, as the nausea is awful. I have never had abdominal cramps like this before going off mirt. I have IBS, and have had it since childhood, but it was mainly diarrhea when stressed. Now I am having constipation as part of the problem, and rarely have diarrhea anymore. That is where things stand. Thanks for your reply.
    • Posted

I have been tested for all of those and am lactose intolerant, and am very careful with my diet.
  • Posted

Hello David, I too get those same cramps which seem minor but are constantly there and are a nuisance but mine will go away for awhile and then return. I think now I am adjusting too them or just getting used to them because sometimes I just don't notice them until I think about them. I hope yours get better. 
  • Posted

Sorry for the slow response. I am still on mirt   9.5 mg. down slowly from 15.0. 2. 1/2 month taper and the pain started about 2 weeks ago. 
  • Posted

Hey Dave, sorry you are still suffering. May I ask about your other symptoms though? Have you seen a lessening or dissapearance in them?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.