5 months post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

I am 5 months post op tkr on left knee, l am still doing bend exercises, 15 mins on static cycle and walking 1 mile every day.

Getting pain down the outside of my knee and my knee still feels a bit stiff and numb on that side. The inside of my knee don’t feel to bad is this about the general trend .

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Jonkee, sounds about right actually. You may need to work on strength building for the outside of knee pain. Weak muscles can give rise to pain when lifting & certain movements.

As for still having numbness that's quite normal too. I still have some numbness along the outside of my right knee that had TKR Oct 2016. It has receded over the last few months, but there is still numbness there..

All par for the course I'm afraid.

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Hi jonkee3, from what I hv gathered from many other TKR experiences and myself, the numbing on the outer part of the knee never goes away. The nerves that are severed at the time of the operation don’t connect together again. The inside of the knee seems to recover much better. Your knee will get a little better in the bending but it will require PT for life. You will need to stretch that knee everyday in some way so it can keep that bend of at least 105 or better. I am 15 months post op and 15 months of PT. I am in the 50s and still hv numbness on the knee surface. I never regained full strength of the knee and no matter what anybody says, that new knee will never really feel natural. But it is better than the original, non-working knee that you had replaced. Good luck. 
  • Posted

Jonkee, reading your post I realized as of last Friday, I am 6 months post op.....sigh....still stiff and painful at times...still hard to go down stairs (up is getting better).  Never had numbness so I am lucky there.  But this is the slowest &^%$# recovery.  Thank goodness for this site and all the good advice and all the folks struggling like me to recover. 

• Posted

Hi I'm 15 weeks and still exercising as you are. Numb on outside of knee and occasionally pain on outside of op knee over joint. I believe this is normal. Good luck

• Posted

I am 7 mths and am naughty because I don’t do exercises except walking the dog and sometimes going out on my bike! Was during them in pool until it got too cool. Mines still stiff and even the one I had done 7 yrs ago can ache and was hurting other day, so don’t be surprised if some stiffness etc never goes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.