5 months post-op from patellofemoral replacement still can't straighten knee

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had difficulty completely extending my leg and straightening my knee since surgery and it seemed like it was getting better with PT.  Actually extended PT for an extra month.  D/C'd PT Feb. 13th because it seemed to be improving.  But, now 5 weeks later, still no better at all.  Unable to straighten and pain under kneecap when I try.  Also, pain laterally in lower quad.  What is going on?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a patella femoral replacement 7 weeks ago. Was at 90 with the bend when I was discharged and now at 115. However extension is still -10. Just can't get it to straighten, despite the exercises. I try and push it but it physically won't straighten and us very painful in the knee when I try. See physio again tomorrow. Will see what she says. Not easy is it! X

• Posted

Hi Deb, thank sure for your reply.  Imagine being almost 5 months out and it still physically won’t go down.  Like something is preventing it!  I will try the exercises from OldFatGuy below.  Also, made an appointment with my OS for next week.
  • Posted

This is the ebb and flow of tkr recovery. Unfortunately it isn't lineal. 2 steps forward and 1 back. Then toss in plateauing and you have a constant frustration for a year or so.

As far as the straight. Herrs a couple of exercises that mmight help.

1) lie crosswise in your bed face down with your knees as the axis. Let your legs relax and continue to count of 10, then roll over and relax. Do this 5 times to start and slowly increase to to 15. Make sure you relax in between and that no one is in the room videoing as this is not the most graceful exercise going.

2) Lie on back with your head elevated. Roll a bath towel and put under your ankle so it's 2 to 3" off the bed. Slowly, starting with your thigh muscle and depending downward, tighten all the muscles in your leg then use the muscle strength to push the knee toward the bed. Hold for count of 5, relax, repeat 5 times. Gradually hold the count to 10 and the reps to 15. You will start seeing the soft tissue in back of the knee loosen and straighten. In a couple weeks or less you will pick up 2 or 3 degrees. Be sure to ice aand elevate after you are done

• Posted

Thanks, OFG!  This is my second PF replacement.  First one went much better and I never had the inability to fully extend my knee.  My OS says no two knees are alike.  I will try your exercises, thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.